RSLogix 5000 and 64 bit windows 7 compatibility

sparkytex

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey guys,

The local district bought their own laptop so they can have all of their PLC programs on it and have a mobile laptop that can go around and connect to each PLC. I pushed them in this direction for the fact it was needed and makes sense for them. They hired someone to install RSLogix 5000 and RSLogix 500 on it as well as RSLinx.

The idea was to use the licenses for RSLogix 5000 and 500 off the HMI stations and transfer them to the laptop. He downloaded Windows 7-64 bit version and it doesn't seem to be compatible with 500 or 5000. I get the message:

The program or feature "\??\C:\programfiles (x86)\rockwellsoftware etc cannot start or run de to the incompatibility with 64 bit version of Windows.

Do I need to install a different version of windows to make this work?

Thanks,

Brian

Edit** the laptop is a dell latitudeE5570 intel (R) core (TM) i5-6440HQ CPU 2.60 Ghz
8.00 GB 64 bit operating system

Last edited:
We use Logix 500 9.05.01, Logix 5000 v17-20, Studio 5000, and FTVME (v8.20) all on x64 bit windows 7. What versions are you trying to install? If you go back too far, they aren't compatible. But everything going back around 5-10 years should be.

Anything that isn't compatible can be installed on Windows XP Mode, which you get a license for I believe with a copy of Windows 7. You just have to download it from Microsoft. That gives you a x32 bit operating system on a VM that you can use. However, I would recommend going with VMWare instead of XPMode, as it has some nice features that XPMode doesnt.

I use Studio5000 V20.04 and V 26.01 on 2 Windows 10 Pro X64 desktops and a Windows 10 Home X64 laptop without issue.

The only Windows 10 compatibility problem I have ever encountered was upgrading from RSLinx 3.70 to V3.73 - that I had to uninstall & reinstall 3.70

All of the RA s/w (Toolkit) I have is installed on a 64bit windows machine without VMware or the virtual PC. You shouldn't have any issues installing 5000 and 500 on that machine.

What versions are you trying to install? There are some .net issues with older versions, but I have successfully installed up to developer 28

Hey guys,

The local district bought their own laptop so they can have all of their PLC programs on it and have a mobile laptop that can go around and connect to each PLC. I pushed them in this direction for the fact it was needed and makes sense for them. They hired someone to install RSLogix 5000 and RSLogix 500 on it as well as RSLinx.

The idea was to use the licenses for RSLogix 5000 and 500 off the HMI stations and transfer them to the laptop. He downloaded Windows 7-64 bit version and it doesn't seem to be compatible with 500 or 5000. I get the message:

The program or feature "\??\C:\programfiles (x86)\rockwellsoftware etc cannot start or run de to the incompatibility with 64 bit version of Windows.

Do I need to install a different version of windows to make this work?

Thanks,

Brian

Edit** the laptop is a dell latitudeE5570 intel (R) core (TM) i5-6440HQ CPU 2.60 Ghz
8.00 GB 64 bit operating system

So a few questions here....

1)What exactly do you mean by "use the licenses...off the HMI stations and transfer them to the laptop"?

2)What versions of software are you starting from & going to?

3)How are you attempting to transfer the licenses?

4)What service pack of Windows are you running on this laptop?

5)Who was hired to do this job? Was it someone from Rockwell?

These answers are important. Rockwell has changed the way licenses are transferred a time or two, and there may be a step you have to take in order to update the licenses you are starting this transition with. Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-Bit is still highly compatible with many versions of RSLogix 500 & 5000 as well as Logix Designer. I myself use W7 Pro SP1 x64 and have as high as v30 installed on my machine. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I think version 30 is the first version Rockwell officially supports on Windows 10. You can check the software version/OS compatibility on the Rockwell PCDC website.

Sometime, you have to run the install program with the "Run as Admin".

I would try that first. Uninstall then reinstall using the "run as admin".

Also, what versions?

I will get answers to all of the questions in order to narrow it down for everyone. I had to leave it be for the weekend but will start digging back into it today.

So to recap on this I got as much info as I could:

The widows being used is Windows 7 Pro SP-1
Ths RSLogix 5000 used is enterprise series 15.02/19.01/20.04
The district Owns the license on the RSLogix5000, this same license was on their old HMI computer, An instrument tech was the one who transferred the license to a Laptop.

This instrument tech does not work for rockwell, he was hired privately to build them a laptop with RSLogix 5000 and RSLogix 500 on it so the laptop could be carried from site to site to connect to various PLC's throughout the district.

The following are the exact messages I'm getting when I try to load RSLogix 5000.

msg 1.) "Failed to launch RSLogix 5000: No activations available, or all remote activations are in use. If necessary, you can activate RSLogix 5000 now by clicking "activate now". If you need assistance, call rockwell". ( I can either press activate now/cancel/help)

msg2.) this msg happens after I press activate now. " Failed to launch the application activation (C:\program files(x86)\rockwell software\rsutil\evmove.exe). This version of %1 is not compatible with the version of windows you're running. Check your computers's system information to see whether you need an x86(32 bit) or x64 (64 bit) version of the program and then contact the software publisher.

Msg3.) " the program or feature (C:\program files(x86)\rockwell software\rsutil\evmove.exe).cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit versions of windows. please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit windows compatible version is available.

This is about as much info as I can get. Any help to solve this issue is greatly appreciated.

regards,

tex

These messages relate to the old style of software licensing that Rockwell used and will not work with the "newer" versions of software (v19 & v20). They'll need to contact their RA distributor and get a service contract so everything can be upgraded.

I think you'll be ok with version 19/20 using Factory Talk Activation server/manager. The EVMOVE activation function will not work with 64 bit OS, I believe.

EDIT::: If you were using a 32 bit OS, 15,19 and early version 20.0 (I think) can all be activated with legacy activation.

Last edited:
That looks like more of a problem with your FT Services Platform.

Go to the start menu, click on your control panel, then go to your Programs and Features tool in the control panel. Once this loads, take a look at the entry for both:

- FactoryTalk Services Platform
- FactoryTalk Activation Manager

There will be a version listed next to the name. Post what version both of these are please.

I think you'll be ok with version 19/20 using Factory Talk Activation server/manager. The EVMOVE activation function will not work with 64 bit OS, I believe.

RSLogix 5 & 500 will see activations on a hard drive or USB flash under 64 bit, but if you try to EVMove them with Windows 10 you will loose the license.

What I do is remove the Windows 10 hard drive and put it in a USB external drive adapter on a Windows 7 or XP computer and EVMove the licenses to it, then when back booted up in Windows 10 the license is seen.

NOTE: This does not work with RSL5000 and the latest version of RSL500Pro (9.05.01) - they only see the Factory Talk activations on my HASP dongle.