Cant see L37ERM CPU in USB Node

Pete_S

Hi All,

I have a brand new Compactlogix L37ERM I am trying to commission. I connected the CPU to a 1769-PA2 power supply and connected an AB USB cable to the CPU. I have Studio 5k on a VM. When I connect the AB USB device to the VM I see the controller information listed under Removable Devices in VMware (Rockwell Automation 1769-L37ERM/A Logix 5337ERM). However when I open RSLinx Classic v4.00 and expand the USB node I see no controller. Then I connect a brand new L24ER QB1B to the same USB cable and I see the PLC under the USB node in RSLinx. I have tried a couple power supplies that had CPU's running on them (so I am confident in the power supply), and I am not able to see the controller still. I have also tried all switch positions, and none have worked. I am stumped as this is the process I always use to connect to new devices after IT blocked BOOT-P traffic, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

A little rusty, been out of the game for a while, but what firmware is on the new controller you may need to flash it before you can connect via studio 5K.

New controllers ship with no real usuable firmware on them I think its V1 or something.

A little rusty, been out of the game for a while, but what firmware is on the new controller you may need to flash it before you can connect via studio 5K.

New controllers ship with no real usuable firmware on them I think its V1 or something.

I generally update firmware after connecting in RSLinx. I could see the L24 in RSLinx before any firmware was flashed to that controller. And you are correct on the unusable firmware on a new device, at least for the L24 that is is FW1 when the device is shipped. Im guessing the same is true for the L37ERM, if only I could prove that assumption with a connection LOL

Last edited:
The connection/disconnection and device identity changes that a Virtual Machine USB connection goes through are not ideal for using RSLinx Classic to do firmware loading.

I put RSLinx Classic and ControlFlash on my host computers, so that there's no extra abstraction and connection layer to work with over USB. Once the base firmware is loaded and I'm able to connect over Ethernet, I use Ethernet.