Controllogix online analog module scale

Abn

Hi
I'm trying to change the scale in a analog
Input module in the module while online.

I got a warning saying something like
Module changes could cause issues with other
controllers or something like that, don't
remember.

Does anyone know if is it ok to do this or need
To turn equipment down to do a download
Of the changes?

The thing is that is a Little complecate to
shut down.
That's why I would like to do it online.
I prefer to do the scale I the module rather than
Through program.

Thanks

I haven’t changed the scale online before, I always do it offline.
I got just worry because it says to inhibit the module and that
I can't do it , that would affect the other inputs.

The reason for that message is partly because other controllers might be listening to this module and receiving the data it is generating. If that data suddenly changes scale, it could affect the operation in that other controller.

If it is an input module, you could actually have two controllers that both own that same module (meaning both controllers would be storing the configuration data). If those two controllers have different configurations it would lock out one of those controllers. So if you are online with Controller A and inhibit the module, Controller B would keep keep that module functioning. Then, if you change a configuration setting from Controller A and then remove the inhibit setting, Controller A would say that you have a configuration mismatch and would fault the module for Controller A. Controller B would keep chugging along just fine. But if you did not inhibit, Controller A would make the change to the module and Controller B would show that module as faulted.

So by inhibiting, if there was a problem it would show up on your controller, not the other controller(s)

This isn't very common, but it is possible. That's why the warning is popping up. It doesn't know if it is happening or not, so it gives that message anytime you change any module.

OG

Last edited:
The reason for that message is partly because other controllers might be listening to this module and receiving the data it is generating. If that data suddenly changes scale, it could affect the operation in that other controller.

If it is an input module, you could actually have two controllers that both own that same module (meaning both controllers would be storing the configuration data). If those two controllers have different configurations it would lock out one of those controllers. So if you are online with Controller A and inhibit the module, Controller B would keep keep that module functioning. Then, if you change a configuration setting from Controller A and then remove the inhibit setting, Controller A would say that you have a configuration mismatch and would fault the module for Controller A. Controller B would keep chugging along just fine. But if you did not inhibit, Controller A would make the change to the module and Controller B would show that module as faulted.

So by inhibiting, if there was a problem it would show up on your controller, not the other controller(s)

This isn't very common, but it is possible. That's why the warning is popping up. It doesn't know if it is happening or not, so it gives that message anytime you change any module.

OG

Thanks a lot ... that was a great explanation.
Appreciate the help.