Factory talk animations

dcam

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've been trying to put a animation on a grouped element that is horizontally animated. I'm not sure if its even possible.....the motor traverse moves to the right then to the left (this works fine except not smooth). I also want to animate the agitator rake as it moves with the traverse (grouped element), right to left and back. When I add the rake animation the rake is left behind when traverse starts moving.

Any panel view gurus out there? Can I join your ashram?

Another question: I have heard good things about Siemens HMI's and the T.I.A. software...told its cheaper and better...what are your thoughts? and whats your spirit animal?

EFV1.PNG

Yes you can absolutely do that. Animating grouped objected and the items within can be tricky.

I always suggest using the Object Explorer to animate grouped objects so it is clear exactly which object you have selected. All to many times I have thought I was animating the item when I was animating the whole group.

If you are seeing objects move and another object getting left behind or moving slower, it could be that individual items have animation and the group has the same animation. So i'm getting double the movement I had expected.

Use that Object Explorer and verify exactly which items have animation and what the group itself may have. You can perform all animation from the Object Explorer.

OG

Another question: I have heard good things about Siemens HMI's and the T.I.A. software...told its cheaper and better...what are your thoughts?

GM has standardized on Logix PLCs with Comfort panel HMIs. It's definitely something I see regularly.

The biggest complaint I have about the Comfort panels is that you can't upload editable projects from them (although you can do binary backups), which is only a problem if the site has poor planning/version control (which is all of them). Other than that, they do the job well, and look pretty good. It's based on relatively old tech (runs Windows CE), but they've shoehorned in a lot of newish features like OPC UA.

Last edited: