WinCC recipe

rQx

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,
I have never used recipes and I'm struggling to find information about this way of handling recipe that I want.
I wan't to edit 5 tags that is displayed in I/O fields and not use the reciepe view, is this possible to create new data records if I only use I/O fields?
I use a basic HMI

Last edited:
I have a Basic panel so I can't use scripting to achieve this.

JRW, it seems like what I wan't to achieve
Input the 3, 4 and 5 into I/O fields along with a name and then Save it as a new Data record in the recipe.

Thing is that I have a layout on the screen with couple of values and when the operator will make a new recipe I want them to simply input the values straight in the layout instead of the recipe view, making it easy for the operator to create and understand the creating of the recipe.

/Tim

Sometimes the recipe handling in HMI's can be a bit daunting, however if your recipes are reasonably simple and you do not need too many you could create a recipe load screen, a recipe edit screen and use plc code to handle it for example you create a recipe screen with a variable for the recipe number and the recipe variables, inputting a number into the recipe number will indirectly load the variables from say a data block pointed to by the recipe number.
The logic will load the recipe variables into the working area (depicted on the screen and then you can edit them). Pressing a save key your logic then saves them back to the DB. the recipe selection screen does the same thing except it only loads the data into a recipe working area and is not editable. Downsides are you will have to limit the number of recipes dependant on memory, all recipes are downloadable to the work area even if they have not been configured i.e. all values are 0 (you could put checks in for this). Recipes being stored in the plc means the only way to back them up is by uploading the blocks via the programming software into a plc file rather than back up in say csv format etc.
Pluses are you can edit them while process is running (either directly in used recipe or off line edit screen) in off line edit screen the recipe would have to be re-loaded on recipe selection screen to update current running recipe. Certain level entries can be configured to enable or disable ways of editing & updating running recipes.

I have thought of making it in the PLC but since the function exist in the HMI i thought it to be simple. It's pnöy like 10-15 recepies I think . Maybe easier with the PLC?

If WinCC does not support recipe handling...
You could save the recipes in plc registers and just move the data to the "Active Recipe" registers when the recipe number is selected in the HMI.
If too many recipes to store in plc, then maybe you to look into a recipe software. Intouch has a standalone recipe manager

Last edited:
There's something about the recipe handling in WinCC comfort that i've seen confuse people time and time again. Could be that its getting you as well?

What most people I talk to think of as a recipe is called a Data Record in WinCC. A Recipe is a list of different parameters, a data record contains the values of those parameters. You could have a recipe for Lemonade, with tags for the amounts of water, ice, sugar, and lemon juice, and then each data record would have different amounts of those ingredients (normal lemonade, strong, weak, jumbo pitcher, etc).

Rqx
Have you experimented?
Look at the events for recipes.
It’s doable

Hi,
No since I don't got the HMI yet I can't. I have looked at the events and it seems like there is something there. I asked the question to get some hint and lead me to a good direction when I start experementing. So that I don't waste time on things that isn't "good" or doable.

There's something about the recipe handling in WinCC comfort that i've seen confuse people time and time again. Could be that its getting you as well?

What most people I talk to think of as a recipe is called a Data Record in WinCC. A Recipe is a list of different parameters, a data record contains the values of those parameters. You could have a recipe for Lemonade, with tags for the amounts of water, ice, sugar, and lemon juice, and then each data record would have different amounts of those ingredients (normal lemonade, strong, weak, jumbo pitcher, etc).

This far I've gotten so that I can "understand" the context of the recipe handling. Recipe, element and data records. The manual fails to have a good explaining about how to handle recipe without the recipe view though.

Hi,
No since I don't got the HMI yet I can't. I have looked at the events and it seems like there is something there. I asked the question to get some hint and lead me to a good direction when I start experementing. So that I don't waste time on things that isn't "good" or doable.

Did you know you can Simulate the HMI along with the PLCSIM (or a real PLC), to let you mostly test the HMI before the real HW exists. You need to make sure you set the PG-PC interface in the hw config, tho, it's the only thing that Portal doesn't do automatically for you.

This far I've gotten so that I can "understand" the context of the recipe handling. Recipe, element and data records. The manual fails to have a good explaining about how to handle recipe without the recipe view though.

You can make IO fields that tie to the recipe tags. There is a system function for everything you can do in the recipe field: saving a recipe, loading a recipe from storage, sending it to the PLC, etc.

Off the top of my head, the only thing I seem to recall having trouble with was getting the text name of the recipe/data record. I had to use the numbers instead.

Did you know you can Simulate the HMI along with the PLCSIM (or a real PLC), to let you mostly test the HMI before the real HW exists. You need to make sure you set the PG-PC interface in the hw config, tho, it's the only thing that Portal doesn't do automatically for you.

I have never used the PLCSIM actually, I tried once but didn't get it to work. I'll check it out again.

Thanks alot for all the tips, I will try to simulate with the PLCSIM and see what result I get (y)