S7-1200 comms to Sick barcode scanner

Lee E

I'm trying with absolutely no success to incorporate a Sick CLV630-0120 barcode scanner into my TIA project. The project details are as follows:

Siemens S7-1214C CPU, IP 192.168.0.2 with Ethernet/Profinet port connected via crossover patch to Port 1 of CSM1277 Scalance 4-port unmanaged switch. This switch is not added to the hardware config - it is transparent.
Siemens KTP400 Basic Mono screen, IP 192.168.0.10 connected same way to Port 2 of Scalance.
Sick CLV630-0120 barcode scanner, IP 192.168.0.20 connected to Port 3 of Scalance.
Siemens Field PG with TIA V11 connected to Port 4 of Scalance.
My PG can communicate with both CPU and screen using TIA and with Sick using SICK SOPAS software.
The CPU and screen are communicating fine so the basic project is in and working.
The further aim is to add the barcode scanner to read a 6 digit Type 39 code and transfer this data from the PLC to a pallet strapper.
When I added the SICK GSD file which is apparently correct for this scanner, I was then able to configure the comms within the Hardware Config of TIA and I've then dragged a 12 byte Input Module into the scanner so it effectively operates as remote IO. These 12 bytes will include 1 byte for STX (start transmission), 6 bytes for the 6 digits of the code, 4 spare bytes which I can ignore and 1 byte for ETX (end transmission) - I've set these up in SOPAS.
Now finally, we get to the crux of my problem: I've spent a total of 3 days trying to set the comms up with various configuration changes to a stage where the 12 input bytes are being influenced in some way by the SICK Barcode scanner. Does anyone have any prior experience of connecting a S7-1200 to a SICK CLV please, or can anyone suggest what I might be missing.
Any input would be greatly appreciated as deadlines are looming...

Cheers,

Lee

I don't know that scanner, is it only a profinet device? Or are you able to set it up as TCP/IP. If so you can use the OUC (open user communication) blocks to establish a connection to the IP:pORT and just listen for data.

EDIT: Also if it is only Profinet then you may need to get ahold of Sick tech support. I know of some issues with other profinet devices that allow you to pick from multiple sets of IO "cards" for the device, but after talking with the tech support group you find they only work with specific options.

Another EDIT: Looking at the manual for the scanner it looks like the scanner can use TCP/IP. Try using "telnet" to establish a connection to the scanner on port 2111. If it connects scan a barcode and see if you recieve any data.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, but I'm out on another job till tomorrow so can't check these out yet.
I've already tried the T_Rec etc but it didn't work for me.
Another question is can I connect using TCP/IP if I'm already using the PLC comm port to communicate via Profinet to the screen?

Another question is can I connect using TCP/IP if I'm already using the PLC comm port to communicate via Profinet to the screen?
I believe this should be fine, I think I had a similar setup on a test rig before.

I've already tried the T_Rec etc but it didn't work for me.
The OUC comms were kinda tricky to setup the first time, I can send you the settings I was using to talk with a symbol scanner via tcp/ip.

CLV bar code reader

SICK in St Albans have many people who can support you
...call 01727 831121 an they can direct you

you'll need to email your configuration of the scanner so we can check its OK if you call the head office they will give you an email add ...
Also heres a link that shows how to to configure the scanner
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqezw8KmCvk&sns=em

Download from SICK a proper GSD file, to make a reader Profinet I/O device.
Then configure your reader.
Read manuals.

Sick A00.jpg Sick A01.jpg

I haven't set these up using TIA portal but know that in Step 7 I had to name the scanners in the hardware configuration of Step 7 before the ProfiNet comms would work. Naming the scanners within SOPAS didn't work. It could possibly be the same issue.