RS232/485 to USB converter question

Nora

Hi-
I am using a Siemens S7-200 PLC which has an RS485 port in its CPU. I use a Siemens PPI converter (485-->232) to communicate with my laptop (dedicated serial port) when I want to download new software into the PLC.
I use this PLC CPU port also to communicate with an RS232 printer, which works fine with the converter cable.

I would like to use a USB printer with this PLC and would like some advice of how to proceed. I use successfully a Belkin
RS232-->USB converter on another (only USB port) laptop, but this converter came with a driver.

From reading the boards here, I gather that the driver "names" or addresses the USB port on my laptop as a serial port.
Does a RS232-->USB converter driver do anything else?

Is it possible to make or purchase a hardware only 232-->USB converter?

What exactly does a RS232-->USB converter do...is it voltage level shifting or complete protocol changeover?

Will it be possible for me to just put a 485-->USB cable in the PLC and it will talk to a USB printer?

Thanks in advance for replies,
Nora

Nora
It won't work, the USB->RS232 converter is not just a signal level converter, it is an active device that requires a power source & the correct instructions to activate and control the RS232 link, these instructions are provided via the driver software that is supplied with the device, the software driver is designed to work with a particular PC operating system - not a PLC.

You could make an RS232 to USB printer converter: using a PC as the interface. You would need some software (possibly a terminal emulator) that echoes the received serial data out to the printer.

regards
Phil