Parsing NMEA 0183 Sentences from a GPS using MicroLogix 1400

Ken Roach

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
This thread is a continuation under a new title of an application thread regarding the interface between a Garmin GPS and a MicroLogix 1400 controller: Previous Thread "MicroLogix 1400".

We have a working routine that will take the incoming GPS data (called an NMEA 0183 protocol Sentence) and break apart the comma-separated numbers into individual Strings in the MicroLogix 1400 controller.

What we need to add next is a routine to actually Read the incoming data using ASCII port instructions, then a routine to convert text to values.

This thread is a continuation under a new title of an application thread regarding the interface between a Garmin GPS and a MicroLogix 1400 controller: Previous Thread "MicroLogix 1400".

We have a working routine that will take the incoming GPS data (called an NMEA 0183 protocol Sentence) and break apart the comma-separated numbers into individual Strings in the MicroLogix 1400 controller.

What we need to add next is a routine to actually Read the incoming data using ASCII port instructions, then a routine to convert text to values.

How about using a Digi IAP as an interface. It can convert the ascii to a df1 messages and send it to your controller. From there, you could probably break it apart in ST pretty easily.

It's not difficult to use those two instructions, it's just that I don't have an SLC or MicroLogix handy along with the time to write and test.

All the tools are there, it's just a matter of turning the wrenches.