What is the oldest PLC system you have running?

There's one machine on site which is still running with a number of BBC/ABB sigma-tronic b logic cards.Should finally be upgrading this year.

Omron s6 plc!

Still have a few hundred of these clunking away after 30+ years at many customers. What a reliable beast. Yes relay outputs **** out but are still readily replaceable!

I inherited a building full of networked TI505 and 545's to run all the HVAC, a separate one for each airhandler. 21 PLCs in all, built in the early 80's. Complete overkill, and a nightmare since we got no documentation. One 545 does nothing but play traffic cop for data interchange . The HMI is two computers running FIX32 on NT. One by one we are replacing them with a building automation system that is designed to control HVAC.

Last edited:
I work at an old sugar mill.
Half of a our DCS controllers are still Mid 1980s Honeywell MFC/AMCs, it is a bit strange reading some of the dot matrix program print outs that were written before you were born.

And if you count non electronic we have an abundance of eagle cam timers and two boilers that are 100% controlled by a pneumatic control system.

I think the oldest system we have running in our plant is a plastic sheet extrusion machine using a GE 90-70. This is communicating to a bunch of various Genius blocks and a 90-30 and about 9 GE DC300 DC drives and 3 DC2000 DC drives. I joke with some of the mechanics after them telling me of an issue with those drives that I need to dust off the stone tablets to read up on the issues. I must say that those drives/PLCs are for the most part very stable and dependable.