OT: Belden 8760 Black & Clear wire

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
Just curious about what is more common. Belden 8760 (and some others) 2 conductor twisted pair shielded cable conductors have black and clear insulation on them.

What is your normal convention for connecting the wire?
Clear +
Black -

Black +
Clear -

Usually I connect Clear+ and Black-, but I've seen it done both ways.

How about on single ended current loops.
Black power
Clear 4-20mA signal

Clear power
Black 4-20mA signal.

I normally use Black for Hot or + and the Clear for - or ground. Whether 4-20 loop or DC power or analog Voltage signal, it's easier for me to remember.

We ALWAYS use black as negative.
We have some wires with clear and black, some red and black, some white and black. Since Black is the common color we use black as negative.

To quote one of our Bubba's: "All you have to do is look at your car, black is always negative."

We go with Ken, Black is negative. Sometimes use three conductor cable (Red/Clr/Blk) so all non black are ">0" conductors.

Interesting question Alaric. We had used this Belden cable for years and always used Clear for + and Black for -. We always bought it from Newark Electronics. In 2003 I paid about $75.00 for a box of 500'. In 2006 the cost had gone up to $111.00. The price is now $177.00. We finally started buying some cable from a local supplier that has Red and Black colors. We pay about $100.00 for 1000'. It does have a thinner jacket but it is fine for panel building. We still use Black for neg. and Red for Pos.