OT - Autocad Electrical Wire Numbering

Kidblue

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,

Have a job where the client spec calls for their own style of wire numbering. They want unique identification each end of the wire using the 'source/destination' information...

eg - Label at one end should read "K1-13/TB02-01" and the other end should read "TB02-01/K1-13"

I've used the replaceable parameters (%S%F%N) etc. but not sure if this is achievable without some involved customisation?!

Any ideas? o_O

Regards,

Rob

I think this is only for the cable between Terminal boxes (field wiring)
It may be easier to just name those with text .
i find it hard to believe that you would wire an internal panel that way.
As most label printers struggle past 6 digits.
Of course some do.
check your requirements

When I worked with promis-e (similar in architecture to ACADE) each wire had 1 number, and that was how it was designed to be used (and promis-e didnt handle that well either). It could automatically make this number, or you could specify this, but in the database, each wire had one number to identify it.

2nd thought- IIRC Promis-e had a report you could run...a "Connection report" ? it listed each wire number and where each endof it landed.

I'm thinking that you either need to draw everything, delete/turn off wire numbering, and put the wire numbers in by hand (just write them as free text, so there are no associations or updates)
Yes, I know this will suck, but the software goes to great lengths to place the same wire number everywhere on the wire. Asking it to accomadate "2 wire numbers on the same wire" is too much.

Perhaps, ask the customer if you can use your own wire numbers on the drawings (which will satisfy the software), but on the physical wires, apply 2 labels to each end - your wire number and the 'K1-13/TB02-01' the way they want it ?
(if they require their wire number on each end, you'd be better off doing everything by hand anyway.

-John

-John

I think this is only for the cable between Terminal boxes (field wiring)

Nope. Finally got some answers back - and it's EVERY wire in the system (12 x TS8 Rittal enclosures bayed together)...The printing isn't the problem - the Partex printer we have will print whatever we put in the spreadsheet. The problem will be (as others have already stated) that ACADE uses a single reference (unique) for each connection.

The only other thought i had was to use the Inline wire label ('You Type' version) and enter a label at each wire end...o_O

Looks like it's going to be a painfully manual one this! :sleep:

Thanks for all the suggestions...!

Rob

12 x TS8 enclosures -
As suggested - you will need to lable the Terminal Strips per panel
I used an Excel sheet on a similar application (5 panels)
and tied the numbering to the Core Number as well.
This kept track of spares also -
You can do this reletively easily in Excel
And export it into ACAD

Acad electrical is correct in doing this. I have seen some companies do what you are describing and it is incorrect. NFPA 79 clearly states all directly connected conductors shall have the exact same reference number. European standards may be different.

Last edited:
Acad electrical is correct in doing this. I have seen some companies do what you are describing and it is incorrect. NFPA 79 clearly states all directly connected conductors shall have the exact same reference number. European standards may be different.
when you have a series of machines that are now being interconnected, with some form of automation. it is not always possible to keep the same numbering.
(Really Poor Example - not actually done this way, but,)
- Motor Phase R1 on M/C 1 and Motor Phase R1 on M/C 2 - you get what I mean.

It is common for instalation drawings to alter the cable labels only, not the internal wiring numbers of the cores

Acad electrical is correct in doing this
I have no issue at all and agree fully with ACADE and the way it has been designed - it's just the customer's requirements i'm struggling with!! 🙃

Is there a way to (sort of) integrate the 'From/To' info generated via the reports option, and display that instead?

The custom Inline wire label is looking favourite so far...

Rob

Geez -I do not like or use ACAD in any form.Also cannot afford it - ruddy rip off. I use an Aussie package and number my wires individually - half the price!!

I like Brijm's idea - perhaps make a 'terminal' that shows up on the page as an impossibly-small dot - something that the ACADE logic will recognize as a terminal but will not look like a terminal when the sheets are plotted - this will let you mess with wire names easier (you are crossing terminals - IIRC my old Promis-e had a checkbox for "Keep wire numbers the same across terminals" somewhere in the project settings.

Maybe...

-John

I've been using ACADE for years and have never used the auto wire numbering feature. I find it more of a nuisance. I just label them manually and be done with it. Not a big deal.

I just label them manually and be done with it. Not a big deal.

No, not a big deal at all. Have you tried creating a different number for each end of the same wire though?! :cool:

The terminal idea (i guess) is do able - but obviously there are going to be numerous cases where there are no terminals involved...

Rob

No, not a big deal at all. Have you tried creating a different number for each end of the same wire though?! :cool:

The terminal idea (i guess) is do able - but obviously there are going to be numerous cases where there are no terminals involved...

Rob

Doesn't make much sense to put different numbers at each end of the wire. Any possibility of "educating" your customer as to the proper/standard way of doing things?