How to tell if a Motor is really running?

If you want to get really fancy, depending on what kind of PLC you have, you can use an fancy electronic overload such as AB's E3 overloads to receive lots of different information about the load.

Hi Everyone,
This is a situation where I need the fan to be running for the equipment to operate safely. So I am looking for ideas on how to know the motor is running other than using the AUX contact. I was thinking of using a current switch on the wires to the motor. Anyone have experience with those?

I have used Cutler-Hammer sensors for this purpose. For example, from Allied Electronics:

ECSJ Series Current Switch CurrentWatch Current Sensors

As others have implied, a process hazard analysis or safety risk assessment will help determine the level of confidence needed by this sensing application. With sufficiently low risk, one of the digital switch models is very cost effective. Depending on the motor and other considerations you may want them on two or three phases, and/or analog output versions at added cost.

I've also used clamp-on CTs with 4-20ma outputs to ma inputs on either DCS or PLCs in the past with great success. They are also pretty inexpensive, under $50 a piece if i remember correctly.

We use air proving switches, air flow sensors, CTs, and shaft non-contact tachs depending on the importance of the application.