Factory Talk View Studio + PLC 5 + Panelview + = possible ???

darkesha

We have one older panelview that is getting dimmer and dimmer with time going by. My boss asked me what is needed in order to change it to the panelview+ touchscreen one.
This panelview is on the controlnet network and it's all controlled by PLC5.
I am not sure if FactTalkViewStudio is able to talk to PLC5s since I haven't dont much work on the panelviews yet. The other tech who does most of out panelviews thinks it's not possible since one of the steps in coreleating tags is to find a RS5000 file and then start picking tags from that controller.

I have a feeling this is not the only way and it should be possible, but just want to confirm it with people who did this before.

Thanks

We have one older panelview that is getting dimmer and dimmer with time going by. My boss asked me what is needed in order to change it to the panelview+ touchscreen one.
I am not sure if FactTalkViewStudio is able to talk to PLC5s since I haven't dont much work on the panelviews yet. The other tech who does most of out panelviews thinks it's not possible since one of the steps in coreleating tags is to find a RS5000 file and then start picking tags from that controller.

I have a feeling this is not the only way and it should be possible, but just want to confirm it with people who did this before.

Thanks

Yes, it is possible to configure a PV+ to communicate with a PLC-5, it's just a little different than doing it with a CLX processor. We do it all of the time.

I am not sure if FactTalkViewStudio is able to talk to PLC5s since I haven't dont much work on the panelviews yet
Its a Rockwell product, so surely it should work.... o_O

This I am not 100% on, I'm assuming you can get a ControlNet card for them.

he other tech who does most of out panelviews thinks it's not possible since one of the steps in coreleating tags is to find a RS5000 file and then start picking tags from that controller.
Then he doesn't really know much about the PV+, or Factory Talk ME.

You are correct. We recently converted a PV Standard to PV+, that was talking DH-485 to a IMC S Class Motion controller and a ML1000.
The .pba file converted straight across, the only thing I had a little bit of trouble with was configuring the comms, not sure exactly the issue, but got it in the end.

This was about comms etc, may be a help. The PV+ uses RSLinx Enterprise.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=53616&page=2

FactoryTalk View ME, and therefore PanelView Plus terminals, can communicate with PLC-5 controllers over several networks, including ControlNet.

For the PanelView Plus 700-1500 terminals, you need to add a ControlNet communications module that bolts to the back. The part number is 2711P-RN15S.

Using FactoryTalk View Studio with PLC-5, SLC, or MicroLogix controllers gives up the Offline Tag Browsing feature that ControlLogix family controllers have, but you can still import PLC/SLC address databases, browse for data table elements online, or enter data table element addresses manually.

The only caveat that occurred to me is that there are a very few PLC-5C controllers still out there with the early (pre-1999) ControlNet "Phase 1.25" firmware. Virtually all of those were installed and are maintained by Solar Turbines. If you have Phase 1.25, you're certainly aware of it because none of the modern interfaces (1784-PCC, 1784-U2CN, PV+, etc) will connect to the older networks.

I recommend you abandon the idea of using panel view plus or any Rockwell automation product. Buy a different model touchscreen and yes it might take some reprogramming but it will save you a lot in the long run. No more AB Rockwell headaches. Get a Quick Panel View

Hi
gijoevaldez2010

I would not agree but then everyone is different.
I also try to use ab with ab Siemens with Siemens etc etc
As I find they always work better and I only have one vendor to ring
If something is wrong.

Then again that's just me

Donnchadh

I recommend you abandon the idea of using panel view plus or any Rockwell automation product. Buy a different model touchscreen and yes it might take some reprogramming but it will save you a lot in the long run. No more AB Rockwell headaches. Get a Quick Panel View

Yeah that's a bad idea. QuickPanel Views don't even talk ControlNet. Stick to the PV+ if that is what you are comfortable with.

You can change the bulb, that shines up the fibre, there are several LED options now out. If not we have had alot of our older PV550/600 rebuilt with LCD screens, removing the bulb and fibre.

You can also use a laptop with PanelBuilder 32 and plug directly into the PV, and upload the existing file, go to another (new) PV and download the file.

What version of the PV plus family do you have??? you never said, other then its comm'd with controlnet

Last edited:
Make a note of the timestamps, guys; the original post was nearly four years old.

Mr. Valdez simply stopped in to make a blanket criticism of Rockwell Automation products and an endorsement of the QuickPanel.

I've already sent him a Moderator admonishment to please stick to current threads and topics.