Transmitting data using Cell

bdossantos

need to transmit a 4-20 ma signal from one location to another using cellular. PLCs are allen bradley but would prefer to have a raw signal on both sides vs communicating using the PLCs. Radio isnt an option due to obstructions. Any input would be appreciated.

You’re going to find it much more difficult to move the analog data from point A to point B via a cell network without using PLC’s than you will with using PLC’s. All cell networks are pure digital (even the voice side of things) so no matter how you slice it you’re going to have to convert the analog signal into a digital one. Then you will have to find a medium to carry the digital signal across the cell network and the cell networks are setup to carry voice (digitized) and Ethernet. If you use PLC’s you can setup a VPN connection using the cloud and use the PLC’s Ethernet protocol to move the data. That is a pretty straight forward process these days and there is plenty of technology to support it.
You could setup the VPN (using the cloud) and use a 4 to 20mA Ethernet bridge (I don’t know if such a device exists) but the advantage of using a PLC is the communications protocol will deal with data re-transmissions, delays, ect…

I've previously used EATON 115E-2 (Ethernet Networking I/O) in combination with 3G Router/Gateway, Westermo MRD-355. But there's other brands/models to choose from.

Was thinking of using the moxa remote I/O modules to convert the signal to Ethernet and then transmit it via two cradlepoints to another moxa but not sure if the moxas can pull each other like that.