GEFanuc Genius Autotest alarms

ltmartin

Hi,
Need some help with a 9070 PLC issue. It is a genius bus installation that performs periodic autotesting on field I/O. I am getting errors lately during the automatic autotesting with the following fault table entries:

Fault Locn Fault Description Date Time
0.1 Application Msg(10304): I/P A/T res timout 03-27 14:40:09
0.1 Application Msg(10204): I/P A/T res timout 03-27 14:40:09
0.1 Application Msg(10304): I/P A/T res timout 03-27 14:39:54
0.1 Application Msg(10204): I/P A/T res timout 03-27 14:39:54
0.1 Application Msg(10304): I/P A/T res timout 03-27 14:39:38
0.1 Application Msg(10204): I/P A/T res timout 03-27 14:39:38

I have consulted what documentation that I could find with the best being a rack, slot and SBA address for the reset timeout fault outlined as the last entry in Appendix D of GFK-1277D.

1rsdd I/P A/T res timeout A/T results for SBA dd on GBC at rack r slot s Contact GE tech

I went with a problem with module 4 on both bus drop 1 and 2 (BEM modules are in slots 2 and 3). The modules are configured in a redundant configuration. If I read the autotest alarm information correctly would this be a module level error? I don’t believe that I get the luxury with a point number on the card to point to a particular loop. I also see that from the fault table it looks as if there are 3 instances each timestamped about 15 seconds apart.

Trying to troubleshoot the issue I programmed all channel’s "Report Faults" parameters to “N” on the genius module (as seen in the fault table as well above) and manually ran my autotest. The alarms still reported. I definitely think that I am missing the fundamentals here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
--Lee

Presumably this system has been working properly for years. What has changed recently? Have you needed to replace any Genius blocks? Have you made any changes to the ladder logic.
Those faults are generated by the Genius modular redundancy (GMR) application. What is the architecture of your system? One or two PLCs? Presumably each PLC has two Genius bus controllers. Do you have redundant Genius I/O blocks? Do you have redundant Genius cables? The reason I'm asking is to determine if the two faults point to the same Genius block or whether by a strange coincidence two Genius blocks with serial bus address (SBA) 04 are showing the same fault.
GMR reserves some areas of memory for itself. If you have made any logic changes lately, are you sure you haven't impinged on the reserved memory?
I believe that with the Genius handheld, you can perform the open circuit test on a block's individual input circuits. Doing so could tell you if the fault is related to a specific input circuit.

Hi Steve,

This system has performed very well for years. There were no changes recently and no Genius blocks replaced. The system has two full redundant racks (two PLC processors total) each rack with 3 Genius bus controller modules. We have two H-patterns on the Genius bus using 4 modules each and this T pattern using 2 modules for redundancy. We have triplicate Genius cables for all controllers.

The faults are pointing to both modules in the T pattern. Bus A module 4 (code 10204) and bus B module 4 (code 10304). I am interested in performing the open circuit test on the individual input circuits but don't see that from the handheld. The handheld information gives me the following:

1) Pulse test: Enabled
2) Input Filter Time: 100ms
3) I/O Circuit config: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
4) Report Faults: YYYYYNYYYYYYNNNN
5) Hold Last State: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
6) Output Default: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
7) Report Noload: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
8) Overload S/D: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
9) BSM Present Status: NO
10) CPU Redundancy: GMR Mode
11) Duplex Default: Off
12) Config Protect: Enabled

Testing the individual points would be great if I could narrow it down to a field problem as apposed to a module problem. I did remove the report faults for all inputs and manually ran the autotest but the faults were still reported.
Thanks.

I looked quickly at my Genius manual and I don't see where you can initiate a pulse test from the Genius handheld, but if the handheld is on the bus when the PLC commands the autotest, I think the handheld will show you which circuit generated the fault.
From the text of your fault message it sounds like the autotest fails on inputs. I think the inputs have to be configured as tristate devices to generate input open circuit faults. If you have mechanical limit switches wired to the Genius inputs, you have to install a resistor across the switch terminals to be able to use the fault reporting feature.