Deviation Alarm Calculation

The alarm limits on temperature are a bit of a problem that's the why in Europe decimalisation has become a standard (well in most cases) so Deg. C is easy, litres instead of gallons, kilo instead of pounds and thank god in England we got rid of the gallon as this was different to japan & America. Although apart from temperature they are reasonably easy to convert. however, as individuals some old stick in the mud types prefer to recognise 70 Deg. F as a base for a good summer temperature (they cannot get their heads round 21 Deg. C) and as water freezes at 0 Deg. C and Boils at 100 decimal makes sense.
We have the Babylon's & Egyptians to thank for duodecimal base of 12 and 365 days a year with a last minute thought of an extra day every 4th one. In England although most things in electrical or electronic have converted to metric the hammer bashers (Mech. Eng.) still use BSP and inch etc. Anyway a percentage deviation seems the best way out in this case or perhaps the best way is for the rest of the world to convert to totally metric, then perhaps the Hubble telescope may have worked first time LOL.

Hammer Bashers = Mechanical Engineers in the UK 🍻

What do you call Electrical Engineer there? Usually Sparky in the USA.

Any others wish to chime in with other names. :whistle::whistle:

Hammer Bashers = Mechanical Engineers in the UK 🍻

What do you call Electrical Engineer there? Usually Sparky in the USA.

Any others wish to chime in with other names. :whistle::whistle:

Mechanical Guy = Hairy *** Fitter

Electrical Engineer is the Engineer, Electrician is a sparky here.

There is a big difference between an Electrical Engineer and Electrician over here.

At my work we tend to call the mechanical engineers "bicycle repair men". Any issue with a mechanical cause is one for the bicycle repair men to look into. We are a small company so our electrical engineer is also our sparky. I'm the one man software department. So I'm considered both the house nerd, the only guy in the house with more than a few working brain cells as well as the one that comes last to fix in code all the #### that the bicycle repair men and sparky overlooked. Which feels somewhat like the garbage can of the engineering department at times. Just don't tell my colleagues or they will come up with new names for me.

Being attached to an engineering maintenance department as a systems guy is an experience. I spent most of my working life working for control systems houses. Back in 2001 I was made redundant and after a few months doing contracts through agencies (usual stuff thrown in the deep end because the project was late and an irate customer) I was offered a job in a food processing plant. I took it as an interim as I didn't think it would suit me, however after about 3 months I thought it beats living out of a suitcase so stayed on. Attached to the Engineering Maintenance department I was considered a bit of an outsider, often called upon to find faults that the engineers failed to find (and put right some of their mistakes) I suppose I was disliked by many. Had many run ins with the IT Dept. as my job was to upgrade, problem solve and modify the many PLC's & Scada systems which totalled about 55 PLC's, 40+ HMI's and 5 Scada/MES systems. Eventually the IT Dept. accepted me (even got admin rights, that don't happen very often).
Although I know I probably had many nicknames I never knew of the one I did learn of was Mr Nowitall. :confused: