Firmware update for PLC 5 1785-L20E / L40E and L80E

tecrmb

Please help me!

I need to perform the firmware update for PLC 5 1785-L20E / 1785-L40E and 1785-L80E, but I do not find these firmware to download anywhere.

Would anyone have these files to pass me please?

Bem vindo a comunidade do PLCTalk !

Because of the age of the PLC-5 platform, Rockwell Automation no longer offers field firmware update kits for the PLC-5 controller. The only way to get an official upgrade is to have the controller sent through the remanufacturing process at Rockwell. That process replaces the communication daughterboards, tests all the hardware, and upgrades the firmware.

I understand that you are asking for somebody to give or sell you the firmware upgrade kits (which were a paid product, not a free service), but want to explain why you cannot find them for download on the Rockwell Automation web services, even if you have a TechConnect contract.

I have several PLCs 5 installed in my plant today. I need them to communicate with other Contrologix and Compactlogix and for this I need to update the firmware.
Also I have some PLC 5 already with the updated firmware, but without spare parts, this is another reason to update the firmware of all the PLC 5 that I have.
I'm asking for help because neither RockWell is supplying these firmware of PLC 5, so I'm seeing if I can get help on the forum.

I went through this a few years back. Like Ken said, outside of Rockwell refurbishing the PLC, you can't get them.

I looked everywhere for the chips or even information on which chips were the upgraded versions and couldn't find the info. I was going to copy and burn my own if I could have found them, but I couldn't.

I don't believe you are going to have much luck finding them.

I have been through this process a few times already due to similar situations of requiring to comunicate with CLX PLCs, and because we are on a TechConnect contract, we get the exchange of the PLC Hardware through Rockwell.

There is no other way to do this, if you want to keep the PLC5 hardware.

a while back i needed to message between PLC5/20E and a compactlogix cpu.

from memory you need a series F PLC5/20E (RJ45 port on board) for compatibility.

i sourced a PLC5/40E series F from a surplus supplier (not Rockwell) it cost approx AUD $1800 i think,so this is another option.

my plant still has 8 PLC 5's still in service, originally they were non Ethernet models, they have all been upgraded over the years for Ethernet models of differing generations and will outlast my career I'm certain. very robust platform.