RS Logix 500 - Input section - FW and W

Is it safe to assume any channel with 'W' has potential current coming into it? For example, since 5.2 and 5.3 don't have 'W', then there are no devices hooked up into those channels?

"W" means used at the WORD level ... for an example - look for something like a MOV (Move) command referencing this address ...

"F" means used at the FILE level ... for an example - look for something like a COP (Copy) command referencing this address ...

"USED" in this sense means that the CODE/PROGRAM/LOGIC/LADDER is making use of the address ... it has NOTHING to do with whether the address has something/anything (such as a device in the field) "wired up to it" ...

here's an old link that might be helpful ...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=419243&postcount=10

good luck with your project ...

Last edited:
I am 100% positive I am using a 4-20 mA signal on 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 5.0, and 5.1, as I am using these in SUB instructions, so unsure why it is not showing up as "used". Probably some fault in the software. This is why I thought maybe since there is no W next to 5.2 and 5.3, those channels are more than likely open. There is slim chance something is actually plugged in, since there is no logic for those in the plc program.

if you can post your ENTIRE program file (RSS extension) - then we can probably give you more detailed help ...

just ZIP the file first (forum rule) and attach it to this thread ... there are some of us "old-timers" here who will NOT access "dropboxes" etc. ...

I just needed to figure out an easy way to guess whether or not the channel is used on the card or not. The W is what I am looking for and all I needed. Thanks for the help ! The 'usage' issue isn't a big deal, I can cross-reference or look at the "W'"