ABB RT7A safety relay replacement

technolog

Lifetime Supporting Member
We use the ABB RT7A safety relay for some machines we build. ABB is discontinuing the item and we're struggling to find a suitable replacement.

The functionality that seems to be difficult to find in another safety relay is the informational transistor auxiliary outputs. We use the Y14 output to tell us when the inputs are satisfied and the relay is ready to be reset.

I've attached an ABB document that details what I'm talking about but this is the relevant extract:

"Transistor outputs
The RT7 has three(3) voltage free transistor information outputs.
The transistor outputs are supplied with voltage to Y13 either from
S53 (+24 V) or externally from 5 to 30 VDC. Y14, Y24 and Y34 follow
the inputs and outputs as follows:
• Y14 becomes conductive when the relay input conditions are fulfilled.
• Y24 becomes conductive when both the output relays are activated.
• Y34 becomes conductive when both the delay output relays are
activated.
***Note
These outputs are only for information purposes and must not be
connected to the safety circuits of the machinery."

Does anyone know of another safety relay that offers the same functionality. We also need the time delayed outputs and the relay should be suitable for use with safety mats and laser scanners.

If your not stuck to ABB, I would take a good look at a Pilz PNOZmulti Safe relay.
It’s programmable and their software is pretty nice.
Just a thought...