Logix Designer v28 will not open programs under v28

Rob S.

Just received some new automation that was done in RS Logix 5000 ( Studio 5000 ) version 28. I tried to open other projects done in an earlier version , such as version 20.01 , and I get the following ......

Oven_Upload .ACD is configured in revision 20.01 . Logix Designer support for this revision is not installed . To open this project you must :

Cancel and install Logix Designer Support for firmware revision 20.01 or
Change the controllers revision and / or type in the project .

I thought that updating to version 28 would allow me to open earlier versions ?
Didn't earlier versions of RS Logix 5000 , have the earlier versions also ?

What is the normal corrective active around this ?

Thanks again , like always.

No. You must install the specific major version side-by-side that you require. If you only have v28 installed then you can talk to any application that is revision 28.00 through 28.xx. But that is it. If you need to open a v20 application then you must install the v20 software. It will not replace what you have. The different versions will install and work side-by-side. If you open a v28 app it will automatically switch to Logix Designer v28. If you open a v20 app then it will open as RSLogix 5000 v20.

RSLogix 5000 was the name for all versions before v21. You will want to install RSLogix 5000 v20.04. Do not install v20.03 unless your company specifically requires it. 20.04 is what you want.

Unfortunately while you can select to uninstall multiple versions all at once, they must be installed separately. On my PC I currently have v20, 21, 28, 30 installed.

OG

Thanks for the insight ,

I need to also wrap my head around the virtual world . What the benefits are , why it seems safer , etc.