Panelview and USB

forqnc

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi, I'm working a project, I set up some recipes to be stored on the USB on a panelview plus (2711TP-T7C21D8S). This is working fine, expect when the panelview is rebooted, it does not see the USB drive. I have to unplug it and re-plug it in.
Working further on the project (data logging) again it does not see the USB after a power up/re-boot.
I'm really hoping there is something I am missing, since it seems needing to open a panel to Reset the drive, every power up, is ludicrous.
This is my first project on a panelview, so I am really hoping I am missing the obvious.

The first diagnostic step would be to try a different USB drive. What make and model and size are you using ?

I had to try three different USB drives in my automotive dash camera system before I found one that would work when I rebooted with it inserted. The technology is not quite as universal as you would think.

If you have the opportunity to do your datalogging on internal storage or a not-easy-to-remove device like the SD card, I would recommend it. Windows CE in general, and the PV+ in particular, has a lousy reputation for silently failing to log data when the filesystem is unavailable and being unable to reconnect when it becomes available again.

Thanks for the reply Ken.
The USB stick is a small 122 MB we use for shipping customers manuals on.
I was trying to use USB in case customers wanted to transfer between various HMI's.
I will try some different USB drives tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies, I tried a different USB this morning, like Ken suggested, and it worked OK.
Also based on Ken's comment about reliability of USB, I've decided to stick with the SD Card.

i believe they work best when formatted FAT, which is the older FAT16.

JZerb, seeing this I checked both USB formats, the one that didn't work 122MB FAT format, the one that did a 16GB FAT32 format.
Also I saw in the manual recommended 2.0 USB.
Later on I might try to format the 122MB to FAT32 and retry.

Just to add for any future viewers.
I formatted the 122 MB to FAT32 and it works, the HMI sees it after a boot up.
Now we can offer the customer whichever storage device they prefer. 🍺

Just to add for any future viewers.
I formatted the 122 MB to FAT32 and it works, the HMI sees it after a boot up.
Now we can offer the customer whichever storage device they prefer. 🍺

good to hear, also interesting because when i make .autorun batch files for Panelviews i was always told to format the USB to FAT not FAT32 to make sure it worked properly in the Panelview.