Small brewery PLC/HMI ideas

There's two routes on buying the brew gear. Buy used, which is quite common to start, in which case, you are on your own. Buy from the essentially one supplier and they will sell kick *** stainless gear with dinky little control panels with teeny standalone led displays and made in China controllers. There isn't enough money for them to maintain a controls solutions team beyond that. They would run your higher requirements through the big guys, so you're back in the same boat with $, probably worse. And that's why there's not a lot of automation in small breweries here. The solutions are all geared towards big players.

There's two routes on buying the brew gear. .....

Starting to make more since now... hence why you here, I would suggest drawing it out so you dont have a aww **** moment and take your time

From what you have said so far I dont think you can go wrong, the 1200 Siemens, AD or AB are all going to work, like you said you need to make sure they will support all the temps because you will need to watch several on your batches

A few years ago I designed a control system for a refrigerant distillation system. We used a CompactLogix system with two 1769-IF16C analog input modules modules. This gave us 32 channels of temperature and pressure inputs. We also added some local I/O and some remote I/O using Flex Logix and it worked out very well.

Take your time and spec out exactly what your analog and digital I/O requirements will be and this will help guide you to the best choices available for you.

Good luck with your project.

I see that driver, but it doesn't say for Controllogix. Just an omission on that spec page?

Perhaps. Most users of the larger Logix processors use Ethernet, in my experience. We added CIP serial support for the Micro 8XX line. From what I have seen most AB PLCs support serial DF1.

I would seriously be looking at AutomationDirect P1000 or P2000 system. The P2000 is very expandable with P2000 remote IO, or use your own flavor of remote IO and talk EtherNet/IP or Modbus. Free programming software too.

https://www.automationdirect.com/productivity/home

So do they controllers use the Click software or something else.

Four our small brewery i was considering using the Micro820 line w/CCW but if the Automation Direct controllers are more user friendly (I mean the software--I'm not quite enthralled with CCW) maybe we may give them a chance.

So do they controllers use the Click software or something else.

Four our small brewery i was considering using the Micro820 line w/CCW but if the Automation Direct controllers are more user friendly (I mean the software--I'm not quite enthralled with CCW) maybe we may give them a chance.

No the Pxxx line has their own software... I like it, I also like click and they are both free to download

Why did you not like the CCW? the newer versions are much better than the earlier ones

Our brewery's start-up system was a relay logic based JV system half sourced from an old Modelo plant in Mexico. Mostly contactors, relays--a birds nest wiring nightmare of a panel with a few Automation Direct drives and a few Watlow type PID temp controllers. No plc. We still use this system and will eventually automate it more; Our much bigger and newer system is the type you describe with the stainless steel and animated panels and it's made by Braukon in Germany. It's programmed in Siemens Statement List and in German. Very hard to get worked on locally--we have a good relationship with them so they do upgrades and such and can go online from Germany with Team Viewer.

No the Pxxx line has their own software... I like it, I also like click and they are both free to download

Why did you not like the CCW? the newer versions are much better than the earlier ones

Well...I'm getting better at it. I just don't care for the extra instruction blocks you have to add to get your analog inputs to scl blacks and then back out of the scl blocks to an input. There's other little items but if there is something more like Studio and cheaper. I have worked with the C-more panels and they are nice, just not the controller software

All good thoughts thx.

One last question on the PEAK HMI beofre I request the trial software - I didn't have a chance to check out the alarming to email/SMS capability. Is there a solution there?

One last question on the PEAK HMI beofre I request the trial software - I didn't have a chance to check out the alarming to email/SMS capability. Is there a solution there?

Yes, email/SMS is supported

• AlarmingEvent logging
  • Alarm logging
  • Alarm grouping
  • Runtime alarm enable/disable
  • Email/SMS notification (optional acknowledgement)

In case you haven't checked it out yet, Studio 5000 has an example called the FactoryTalk Brew Craft System Deployment.

The publication number is bev-at001_-en-p.

Search for that at RockwellAutomation and be sure to select "literature."

I did not know that, thx.

Interesting document, but I see that geared towards 30bbl and up. There's not a lot of use for the SQL development, and I think the price is likely prohibitive for small guys (15bbl and lower) to buy the PLC, FTV ME + PV, or SE, and Logix5000. Just looking at the screenshots, I think you need a bit of FTV work to get what you want. I'd love to know how much of that product they sold and who was buying...

Last edited:
In case you haven't checked it out yet, Studio 5000 has an example called the FactoryTalk Brew Craft System Deployment.

The publication number is bev-at001_-en-p.

Search for that at RockwellAutomation and be sure to select "literature."

Ok what's the key to actually finding that? I'm striking out.