GV3000 Drive (Encoder Error)

busarider29

Lifetime Supporting Member
Greetings from Michigan, USA,

I have a GV3000 drive that is faulting for an encoder loss, fault "EL". However, I am not using an encoder and never have for this machine. I verified that parameter U.001 is set to "SE", which in the manual states that means no encoder is used, otherwise you select the number of PPR for this parameter. This machine has always run fine. Hasn't run in a while but nothing has changed. I'm controlling the drive via the 0-10V analog input on it. I don't have any communications (DeviceNET) to it so drive parameters could not be getting over written in any way. Why is it kicking out this Encoder Loss error??

Thanks,
D

Might just be getting old and tired. That's an old old drive now and unlucky for you, A-B just announced in Feb. 2019 that they are totally out of components to repair them now.

What I would try is to go into P.048 and change it to U-H for V/Hz control, then go BACK and change it to UEC for Vector Control again. Then go to U.001 and enter some value for the PPR, then go BACK and change it to SE again. Kind of a "re-set" like sequence of those associated parameters to maybe get rid of any extraneous bits floating around.

Might just be getting old and tired. That's an old old drive now and unlucky for you, A-B just announced in Feb. 2019 that they are totally out of components to repair them now.

What I would try is to go into P.048 and change it to U-H for V/Hz control, then go BACK and change it to UEC for Vector Control again. Then go to U.001 and enter some value for the PPR, then go BACK and change it to SE again. Kind of a "re-set" like sequence of those associated parameters to maybe get rid of any extraneous bits floating around.

Yes, I'm aware of the AB announcement. We had another GV3000 on another machine lose its regulator board about a month ago. That's when I learned about the announcement from AB. My source for parts for these drives is mainly Ebay now.

I found an updated PDF manual (the original I was looking at was an older version) for the drive and did find something in there that addresses this error when in sensorless vector mode. I ended up bumping up the magnetizing current parameter (U.006) and this appears to have "fixed" the problem. Not sure why I needed to do that as nothing on this machine has changed. Like you stated though, possibly the motor and/or drive is just getting old and tired (?). This drive is driving a little 1/2 HP 480 motor to drive an oil pump. So, getting something new to replace this old GV3000 should be relatively inexpensive.