Cylinders Synchronization S7-300 and FM module

Prince

I am working on a project to synchronize position for 4 cylinders using s7-300. Each cylinder has a resistor based transducer and each cylinder is controlled by a servo valve. I understand that the CPU and Analog modules might not be fast enough for this application.

I normally use FM-350 as a counter module for encoders and it works fine. I see that there are other Function modules for other application and I wonder if I can use one of them. Did anyone use other types (eg FM354, FM355, FM357)?

I am interested to know your suggestions

Last edited:
FM 354 is for point to point moves (no gearing)
FM 355 is a separate PID controller module.

FM357 is a 4 axis controller and would be the most appropriate from your listed FM’s above
These are getting long in the tooth as they say.

Consider a C240 Simotion controller

Last edited:
The C240 is a simple servo motor controller. it is not a hydraulic servo controller.
A RMC150E H1 would work for analog feedback.
It makes me cringe when I hear about analog feedback. This basically limits one to PI control with velocity and acceleration feed forward. This is OK as long as the damping factor and the natural frequency of the system isn't too low.

Peter
I’m impressed, when did Delta corner the market on hydraulic motion control?
I realize Siemens is just a small company

Instead of using resistor based transducer, I highly recommend to use magnetostrictive linear position sensors. They have very high accuracy, precision and repeatability. They can sens position up to resolution of 1 micron and are very durable since there are no easy wear parts.

Delta's controllers are among the best on the market today when it comes to processing speed and high quality of motion control (built in advanced algorithms based on system identifications).

We are small but pack a powerful punch.

Peter
I’m impressed, when did Delta corner the market on hydraulic motion control?]
Sarcasm detected.
Quiet! I am trying to avoid being summoned to appear before congress and explain how we cornered the market.

I realize Siemens is just a small company
Good! I don't regard Siemens as serious competition.
Bosch-Rexroth and Beckoff are. Our controller are often communicating
with Siemens PLC over ProfiNet now in overseas projects. The US and Canada is mostly Rockwell.

I was told by a Rockwell marketing person that Rockwell and Delta have 80% of the industrial servo hydraulic control market. Since we since make the hydraulic controllers for Rockwell, you figure it out. There is an equally large mobile market that we barely touch.

Did you know that TI and then Siemens used or hydraulic motion controllers from 1988 to about 2002? The TI engineers visited Delta and encouraged Delta to build a hydraulic controller for the the TI505 series. Later we supported Profibus and the awful Siemens Ethernet. Delta Computer Systems was the first company in North America to pass the Profibus tests the first time. Siemens used Delta Computer Systems as an example of how to implement Profibus because we bought a Profibus development system from Siemens.

After Siemens stopped using our controllers, there where many customers that stayed with the Delta RMC controllers.

This is all off topic. Back to 4 axis control.
Now for some 4 corner synchronized moves on a big scale. This is in Macau.
https://deltamotion.com/peter/Videos/The house of dancing water - lift cues timelapes.mp4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQq96IO0LMg
https://deltamotion.com/peter/Videos/HODW v6 20181227.mp4

I can show many projects. The point is that we KNOW hydraulic servo control and we can do a lot more than hydraulic servo control.
When the hydraulic control must work, we get the call.

JRW, you have no idea what Delta Computer Systems really is. Yes we are small but we can compete anywhere. 45% of our business is export.
We recently sold a lot of hydraulic control to a person in London who is making a the next Fast and Furious video. It requires 2 six degree of freedom platforms. We can design our own machines too.

Now for the final kick in the butt. Who has Siemens trained on hydraulic servo control and design? There are many on this forum that have been to our basic and advanced training. They come from around the world. Who in Siemens is a recognized guru for hydraulic servo control? My articles get translated in to Chinese. I am a moderator on a Chinese hydraulic forum.
How did that happen? It was because I am internationally known in the field of hydraulic servo control.

Peter

I read your posts and I know your a smart guy. I think your intelligence and arrogance match. :)

I agree, I know nothing about your product. (And I don't comment about your product)

And with that, I would say you know nothing about Simotion- so why comment about it? (BTW, Simotion is an advanced motion controller)

Lets end it here and agree to disagree