FlexLogix 5434 communication help!

Karinrinkashi

Hello everyone,

So we have two chillers on a line, we have not used one of them in a long time. Now, it needs to be recommissioned which i thought would be an easy task. Stupid me!

Well, the last thing i thought i will be having hours and hours of trouble is connecting to that stupid dinosaur of a controller. At some point, it had a program in it but there was no battery so it lost the program. It has an ethernet port but i can't through that because i am assuming you need a program with the ethernet ip address and other settings to use the ethernet port. Secondly, it has an RS232 port on it. I have tried EVERYTHING to connect to it! I have a two female cable that i connected in my laptop and the other end in the flexlogix port but the rslinx can't auto-configure the DF1 driver. I tried using the two female RS232 cable and then attached another cable which is a male to usb. I thought, maybe i can use the usb comm port on my computer. Yet, the DF1 driver fails to auto configure. Next i used a 1784 u2dhp cable with a connecter that has the round end and the other side was rs232. This time i could aut configure but see nothing on the rslinx DF1 driver at all.

The controller itself seems to be good! The ok light is green, the run light is green, the I/O light is flashing green. The reason i think the program is lost is because the HMI with it is giving PLC COMM ERROR and no objects are being displayed at all except for buttons. But i still assumed that maybe it is the controller that is bad. So, i tried to hook up to the other chiller with rs232 cables i have, the ones which is functioning right now, but i couldn't connect to that one either(I can connect to the functioning chiller controller using ethernetIP! So it seems that i am using the wrong cables or something? But some of those cables i use to connect to my SLCs rs232 ports and they connect fine on those.

Any suggestions? What am i doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: