Simple way to program a lot of drilled holes??

neilfl

I need to write a program for an Automation Direct Click PLC to drill a lot of holes (50-100) with a self feed drill. I will have two common inputs to the PLC of "saw parked" (X115)from a Prox sensor and a "at position" (X008) signal from the servo drive. The common output from the PLC to drill the hole will be the same for every hole, Y001 to the solenoid valve for one second. The only way I've found so far is to use a set and reset command for the internal bit for each hole which is not at all practical since that would be about 6-10 lines for every hole. I know the "double coil sysdrum" is taboo but that would be perfect(?) because the program is not going to see the Y001 unless it's at a hole location. I can see the problem with the double coil sysdrum, especially with internal C bits but.....
Any ideas on how to make this program and programing time shorter?

I don't believe there is any need for set/reset or multiple uses of the output.

It sounds like you need to turn on Y001 for 1 second every time you need to drill a hole.

If this is the only function you need to program, it should take less than an hour to write the program.

I think you are going to have to post a schematic of the wiring on this system so that people understand what you are talking about?

I'm confused about the sequence... What do you use the 'saw parked' input for?

Do you just want to fire the solenoid valve for 1 second each time 'at position' turns on? If so, see attached ladder.

I'm guessing it's a little more 'involved' than this, but my ladder might spark an idea for you... :confused:

🍻

-Eric

DrillControl.jpg

Sorry, that's Drill parked. The drill has a prox switch to indicate that the drill cycle is finished and it is all the way up. The Servo that moves the part has an At Position output that I want to use to indicate the part is where it is supposed to be and then there is the output from the PLC to feed the drill with the solenoid. I think Eric's diagram is close to what I need. I'm going to try it right now. I'll be back.

I think the 'drill parked' signal should go to the servo drive. This would be used to inhibit servo motion if the drill isn't all the way up. It could also be used (again by the servo drive) to signal when to move to the next hole. Much like the X8 input in my ladder, you would look for an off-to-on transition of this sensor to initiate the move to the next location.

A 'Drill Fully Down' sensor would be better than just a timer. Right now, you're only relying on time to actuate the drill. You don't know that it actually finished drilling the hole.

🍻

-Eric

The Sugino self feed drill has a valve built into it to do a complete drill cycle. Down to a stop and back up to the prox switch. All the 1 second pulse does is start the pneumatic cycle, so everything waits for the prox signal to continue. I tried your little program and it's great! I knew there had to be a better way. Been in the machine shop business for years and the CNC programs make sense but sometimes this ladder logic doesn't seem very logical. Thanks for the help, I will try using the signals from the servo drive and see what happens. I love a good challenge. Thanks Eric

...and the CNC programs make sense but sometimes this ladder logic doesn't seem very logical.
I feel the same about NC programs. I let our machinist program the little ProtoTRAK in our shop. It makes no sense to me... :sick:

Glad I could help!... :site:

🍻

-Eric

OK, here's another question in the logic is not logical column about moving the servo in this project. When I want to move the servo to a position if I have a manual push button connected to X1 and the output to C121 (which moves to the first position) it works great. I can connect all six positions to six push buttons and a single push sends the servo to which ever position the button is connected to every time with no pause or re-setting. I get six positions in six rungs. When I try to make a C bit do that in the ladder the servo won't get past the second position. It just stops. Evidently using the C bit is not a off-on-off switch? DataView shows the push button cutting off the power to the circuit after the switch opens and the C bit does not. I've tried SET and RESET, edge contacts, timers, sub-routines etc but I'm missing something. I'd attach the program but it's about 60 rungs at this point. I'd like to use a simple command like a C bit (C121 works with the button) to call a certain position that is stored in a DS address, currently DS51, for the first location. I'm using a Click PLC to control the Sureservo drive using Modbus. I'm sure it's simple, I just haven't found the right combination. Thanks

A C bit is just that, a bit. It can be on or off. I'm not sure I understand how your interfacing to the servo. Are you using inputs to select a pre-programmed position? Something like this?

INPUTS
1 2 3 4
--------
0 0 0 1 - Position 1
0 0 1 0 - Position 2
0 0 1 1 - Position 3
0 1 0 0 - Position 4

And so on?

A also have no idea how you're trying to 'make a C bit do that in the ladder' without seeing the actual ladder. Can you zip the .ckp file and attach it?

🍻

-Eric

This would be easy to do with a RMC75 or RMC150. The PLC wouldn't be needed unless there is a lot of I/O. The motion and sequencing part is easy so how are you entering 50-100 holes? Are there X and Y position?
You can easily allocate an array of 100 Xs and 100 Ys or 100 XYs. Your choice and with a simple user program go from point to point and drill the Basically the

If you want we can drill them on the fly.

If you insist on use an AD PLC then use the stage programming as it is perfect for these applications.

Cicero was right

I'm a little green, what's a RMC75? I have about 24 inputs and 24 outputs on the setup I ahave now. The stage programming I've heard of but unfamilier with it, not that I'm all that familier with this programming. I've built several other machines with the AD PLCs but this is the first one with servo motion. Seems like there should be an easier way. I'm probaly commited to AD on this project but I may be open to suggestions on the one with more holes.
John Lennon was right too..... Imagine the world without..........