SLC 5/02 and Pic

I have a SLC 5/02 processor that I cant establish comms with. I am running RSLinx 2.41, using the 1747-PIC driver. I have it set to comm 2, 19.2k node 00, max node 31. It shows running. My workstation shows up as node 0 in rswho under the driver. The processor is on, faulted (not in origonal rack), and the comm light is blinking. However, it does not show up in my rslinx window. I am running this on windows 2000, using a desktop with a real serial port.

If I stop RSlinx, the comm light stops blinking. So, it seems to me that I do have comms, so where is my RSWHO? Am I missing something here (first time using a 5/02)? Does the 5/02 not show in linx and just need to uploaded / downloaded to?? Is my 5/02 bad? I tried it on a different rack and PS, and it does the same.

Guess #1

Try changing the node address in RSLinx to something that someone is unlikely to have chosen for the SLC (like 17). It's possible that you have accidentally chosen the same node address as the SLC

Also the usual "Make sure that RSLinx does not have the DF1 driver loaded" advice

Last edited:
No, comms are never going up (at least linx is never finding the processor). I did try a different node already, that didnt work. If I shut linx off, the comm light goes off. If I start it back up, it comes back up. I have tried a different pic module as well. Also tried differnt baud...

My guess is that the SLC-5/02 CPU might be bad.

I set up a very similar setup here; SLC-5/02 that has been on the shelf for 11 years, and a new Dell Latitude CP640 with RSLinx 2.41 and the built-in COM1 port.

When the SLC-5/02 powers up, the LED's show as follows:

RUN - Off
COMM - Off
CPU FAULT - Blinking
FORCED I/O - Off
BATTERY LOW - On

When I configure RSLinx (running as an application, not a service, in Windows 2000SP4) for the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver, as Node 00 / Max Node 31, Baud Rate 19200, with the "reserve serial port" un-checked.... the COMM LED comes on, dimly flickering (not blinking).

The SLC-5/02 shows up in RSWho as Node 01, program name DEFAULT.

That's why I think your CPU might be broken. I'm using a genuine 1747-PIC with a 1747-C10 cable, and a 9/25 pin adapter connecting to my PC's COM1 serial port.

Yea, im tried win2ksp4 and win98se, with genuine ab stuff as well (an a 25 to 9 pin adapter). This 5/02 has a manufacture date of june 2002 tho. Maybe its still under warrenty...

On power up I have cpu fault (assuming it has a program in it that is different from rack is actually in). Thanks it. WHen I start linx, the comm will blink very quickly (ie flicker), like its got comms, but it never shows up in linx. No matter what I set it to.

Is it possible that the previous owner has set this port to run something other than DH485? Ive unhooked the battery, and will let it sit for a few days to see if it revert back to default.