RSLogix 5000(V20.01) Source Code Protection - Protecting Export of Routines

Hello Experts,

I need to protect RSLogix5000 (V20.01) Program such that its routines shall not be exported. Rockwell Documentation says below:

RSLogix 5000 allows a programmer to lockout the source code from viewing or viewing & modifying.
The RSLogix 5000 Source Protection feature allows you to protect the contents of your routines from being viewed by anyone who does not have the source key required for accessing them.
In order to use the Source Protection feature, you must activate it via a registry entry. The RSLogix 5000 software includes .reg files you can click on to add the required registry key.

What is Protected?
Once a routine is protected, users without the source key will be prevented from viewing the logic of the routine. This affects the following features:
§ Editing - the Language editor does not open and the Controller Organizer's edit menus are disabled. In addition, the routine icon is disabled.
§ Printing - attempting to print a protected routine displays the message: "Unable to print the routine. Source not available."
§ Exporting - no entry appears in the export file for the protected routine. A warning message appears in the Results window stating the routine was not exported.
§ Routine Properties - All controls on the Routine Properties dialog are disabled for a protected routine. The message "Source not available" appears at the bottom of the dialog, as well as in its title bar.
§ Search and Replace - The only search type that is allowed to look into a protected routine is Find All. Find Next, Replace All, and Replace Next all skip the protected routine. When the protected routine is skipped, the following message appears on the status bar:
Unable to search the routine <Routine Name>. Source not available.
Note: This message is also logged to the search results tab when perform a Replace All search.
Since you cannot view protected routine's logic, the Find All search results items do not navigate to the found locations.
§ Navigation - You cannot navigate to a protected routine.
§ Verification - You cannot navigate to an error in a protected routine.
§ Cross Reference - cross reference information is displayed for items referenced within a protected routine, but you are not allowed to navigate to the location within the protected routine. Double clicking to navigate to a protected routine beeps and displays the following message on the status bar.
Unable to edit the routine <Routine Name>. Source not available.
The Go to Location menu item is disabled.
§ Go To - There is no edit item in the Go To dialog for a protected routine.
§ Cut/Copy/Paste - You can copy, paste, and drag and drop protected routines from the Controller Organizer

I am able to protect the routines to view only and even can lock from being viewed. But when i export and import the routines in another PC not having source key, the protected routine gets imported without error.

I want to protect the program routines so that some one not having source key should not export and import the routines.

The documentaton says "The RSLogix 5000 software includes .reg files you can click on to add the required registry key." which i am not sure where to get this .reg file and how to use it?

Request you if you have implemented this approach, kindly reply to the thread.

I appreciate all the responses in advance !

Last edited:
Are you saying you first exported the routines from the PC win the key? In that case I don't think tithe routines will be protected themselves. Only when thy are part of the .acd file will they be protected.

When you apply source protection - if you check the box "Allow viewing of component(s)", then the source code will be viewable if imported into another application...

2013-04-26_145938.jpg 2013-04-26_150237.jpg