Is the PLC dead ?

m2across

Hello Everyone !

What do you think about this:

The PLC is dead! Introducing the PAC!

Once written off by some as a dinosaur, the programmable logic controller is morphing into a more powerful programmable automation controller. Once written off by some as a dinosaur, the programmable logic controller is morphing into a more powerful programmable automation controller.

By Bob Trebilcock Editor at Large
Modern Materials Handling
February 1, 2003

I have some questions for you guys...

Is the PLC really dead ?
How will PAC´s affect the market ?
What do you think about PAC ?

Let me know...

THX

He-he Goody

like this guy: http://www.neave.com/games/pacman/

but by some odd reason, I don't think m2across was thinking about mr pacman.....

-----------------------------
edit:
Since the term PACs (programmable automation controllers) was new, I did a quick search.

Here are some links that did pop up, if anybody is interested:

http://www.ni.com/pac/

http://www.ni.com/pac/pac.htm

http://www.industrialnetworking.co.uk/mag/v9-1/f_plcs.html

http://www.automationworld.com/articles/Departments/19.html

GE have it?: http://www.geindustrial.com/products/brochures/PACSystemsWhitePaper.pdf

Last edited:
"A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet."

PLC / PAC what's the difference? None in my opinion.

Actually, this guy isn't even very original. Someplace around here I still have my "The PLC is Dead" black armband that was distributed by Opto 22 at the Control Expo in the late 80's. Then it was distributed I/O and PC based control that was going to kill the PLC. Then, and several times since, I might add! (At least according to various pundits and marketing mouthpieces.)

The PLC will change and adapt, and so will automation, and the more they change the more opprotunities are created for guys with good engineering instincts and a foundation in fundamental principles.

Is the PLC dead? Who cares?

Hello Everyone !

I glad for your replies ! Thank you so much !

Well... seems like PAC is not so famous at all...

See bellow some PAC news from Rockwell and GE Fanuc....

Rockwell Automation looks to control logic future
-- 12/17/2003
attributes of the PLC, PC, DCS and open control platforms, the PAC has proven it can meet requirements of an integrated manufacturing enterprise, according to Rockwell Automation

Today, manufacturers leverage PACs to access greater amounts of control system data from business systems, ranging from supply chain integration to shipping logistics. According to Rockwell Automation, the PAC must evolve as the demand for control system data continues to increase in volume and complexity to share information inside the corporation, with customers, and suppliers to help build a leaner enterprise.

Controller's engine portable to multiple platforms
Staff -- 1/1/2004

More than a year ago, the term programmable automation controller (PAC) emerged to better describe controllers that combine multiple platforms, such as sequential, motion, and process control, with expanded information-handling capabilities. By converging the best

PACSystems controllers from GE Fanuc contain an engine built on standard embedded architecture using commercial, deterministic operating systems. This makes the engine portable to multiple platforms, and allows users to choose the hardware and programming language that best suits each application.

The programmable automation controller (PAC) supports distributed I/O through Ethernet, Profibus, DeviceNet, and Genius networks. GE Fanuc's Cimplicity Machine Edition software provides the engineering development environment for programming, configuration, and diagnostics.

High-performance RX7i was the first PACSystems platform to be released in 2003. VME64-based RX7i offers four times the speed of existing PLC backplanes, as well as up to 10 MB of memory usable for programming and documentation storage

I do care about PLC and PAC, let me explain why... Is because I´m working for a PLC company... Due to that I´m worried about the PLC´s long life... ;) Just kidding... :rolleyes:

Anyway... I still interested in your opinion...

THX

Hey Dark Knight !

Did you see any PAC ?

You´re right, looks like a PLC, smells like a PLC...

Check this out:
gef_RX7i.jpg

Kiddings apart... I know PAC is very important trend...

If someone has any information about the how will PAC´s affect the market... Would be great !!!

Let´s share.. ;)

THX

Sounds like something I've heard of beofe

Where I work, we just finished upgrading our process lines a few years ago. Now myself only working here for 3 yrs, have been told as of pre 2000, one of our rolling mill's was still using a "GEPAC". This was GE's "Process Automation Computer". It was 1960's/70's vintage and used 4K of ram. The program was loaded with punch cards. I dont think the PAC is a new thing. Now the mill is run via a plc and a mill model.

Andrew

Hello Andrew

Thank you for your information. But I guess the GEPAC is not the same PAC that we are talking about right now...

PAC means Programmable Automation Controller, despite the name similarity is not the samething.

The PAC concept was defined on late 2002, so it´s a kind of new stuff ;)

Anyway...

I really appreciate your interest.

THX

Had a look at the ni link. They certainly need to update their information.
The latest PLCs and PAC controllers are a lot closer to each other than many people think. Just sheep in wolves clothing I think.
How can anyone call Ethernet deterministic?
beerchug