Customer needs legacy RSLogix 5000.... version 6.01.

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
Here's a bit of a challenge... I went to a customer's yesterday who has an old Control Logix PLC with a minor fault. When I hooked up RSLinx, I found that it was so old that they don't offer that version for download. I'd like to help this guy out if possible. Does anybody have thoughts or information of how to get version 6.01?

I will upload a couple of photos on separate replies so they will load without having to click a link.

2020-01-10_10-55-16.png

The Rockwell Compatibles & Downloads page shows version 6.01 and 6.20 available for download.

This is a screen print from the downloads page, top right-hand corner. I can see version 6.2, but not 6.01. Do you show something different?

I tried a different downloads page that is formatted in a list... again, no version 6.01. The oldest was 6.20.

2020-01-10_21-37-42.png

Keep in mind the V6 is before the integrated front end for Logix 5000. That version will need to be installed either on a PC with no other versions of Logix or in a virtual machine session.

Keith

That screenshot doesn't look like the right page. See my screenshot of the Downloads page

But, Austrailian is correct - either version 6 will work.

The only version with a minor version problem was 20.01 & 20.03 - but they both can be used with ver 20.04 or 20.05. But they no longer have 20.03 available to download while 20.01 still is there.

Capture.JPG

Perfect! Thanks. I went to my confirmation email and followed the link to the download page. I found v6.01 and downloaded it.

I'm having problems figuring out the operating system to use in my VMWare Workstation for that version. Rockwell has a good library, but I'm just not finding the documentation for that version.

Thanks for the tip on having a separate VM, Keith.

Ok... I unzipped the download folder and found the release notes in there.

Hmmm, Windows NT.

Good luck on finding an NT installer for your VM

Personally I would just try to install it on Windows 7, that document may have been written years ago, before Microsoft started its self-destruction process.

Actually, I have a Windows NT 4 VM up and running. I've created an ISO for the Logix 5000 installation, and I'm currently only stuck on RSLinx. I need RSLinx installed before 5000 will install (I have this in another post) and I don't know how to "qualify" to be able to download v2.20.02 from the Rockwell Download Center. I own both Studio 5000 and Logix 500, plus Factory View and DeviceNet... but I don't have product and serial numbers for the early version of Linx Classic.

I was going to try and help you out here, but I failed.

It looked like I could download RSLinx 2.20.02, but after I jumped through the hoops I was left with a text file stating..

"This catalog is an activation only catalog, and does not include software media or allow software to be downloaded"

And the picture tells the story...

Capture.JPG

A newer version of RSLinx should work. Mostly newer versions added new processors, HMI's, etc. I always use RSLinx ver 3.73 unless the newer 4.11 is needed for new CLX's.

As for Windows NT, everything NT will run on XP.

As for Windows NT, everything NT will run on XP.

I'll try this out today. I was in school when SP3 came out (second career), and I remember a bunch of our classroom automation software was not happy. I have a post SP3 VMWare machine that I could dig up and try first.

I'll update this post when I know, for future reference.