Omron CS1G to NT21

Winklehoffen

I was called out to a site today that I had never been to before. They have an Omron CS1G-CPU43H that was communicating to a NT21-ST121B-E HMI via the PLC’s serial port to port A of the HMI. The HMI is displaying the system initializing screen which, from my research, appears to be because there are no communications to the PLC. This is corroborated by the fact that the comm light on the PLC is not lit.

I’m not typically an Omron user but I can fumble my way around a bit. I tried changing the HMI port to port B but no dice. The serial cable bells out OK so I’m beginning to suspect that the PLC comm port might have given up the ghost. I back up this suspicion with the very unscientific analysis that I can’t get online to the PLC through the serial port either. I can get online via the peripheral port using a CS1W-CN226 cable with my USB-serial adapter.

Is there something else I should be looking at? Can I use the peripheral port to connect the PLC to the HMI (I have a CS1W-CN118 cable I can use to facilitate this)? If I can use the peripheral port will the existing RS232 cable be able to be used with the CN118 or will I need a different pin configuration? I assume I will have to change the peripheral port settings to the same as the current host link settings (Baud 115200, mode NT Link (1:N)) but are there other changes I would need to make like DIP switches or program changes?

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.