DL305 PLC and LogicMaster Software

CaseyK

In the cornfields, on the prarie, outside Chi-Town
Can I assume that my Logic Master and AutomationDirect's software will both program ANY of the interchangeable PLC's (Series One, DL305, KOYO SR21, TI 305, Siemans T1305)?

Is the software somewhat identical, or did GE develop their own? Yeah I know, LogicMaster is DOS based.

From what I found in the old threads, it seems the AD software will work in anything.

Does the DL305 do a really good job, or is it just a 20 year old PLC that does an okay job.

Does anybody like the DL305 better than the DL205 or DL405, 9030, or VersaMax?

thanks....casey

Never Assume...

So far, I have used every DL series EXCEPT the DL305... :D

Therefore, I can't comment on the ability of different software to program the 305 series. Did you find THIS POST where I attached the chart of what DirectSOFT can program? It will only work with the specific CPUs listed.

beerchug

-Eric

I generally use the 205 for new projects. The 305's I use are generally part of a legacy system. The 305 does have more I/O options, but the 205 is starting to catch up. The 205 has more communications options and memory, and I find the 205 more cost effective, as well as being significantly more compact.

The disadvantage of the 305 is that the I/O addressing is fixed by rack position, and is a little more confusing to determine the correct addresses.

The 405 system is older than the 205, but newer than the 305 (the 305 was originally the GE Series 1). The 405 was developed and initially sold as the Texas Instruments 405 platform. It is quite powerfule, but the 205 has generally the same capabilities.

I like the 90-30 and VersaMax, but I find it isn't quite as cost effective as the AutomationDirect.com line.

I don't know for sure, but I doubt if the Logicmaster software will program the 305. I think Logicmaster was developed for the GE 90-30 and GE 90-70 series, and I believe GE had a separate programming package for the Series 1.

Allan, can you verify?

Last edited:
I wouldn't assume anything about the ability of Logicmaster 1 to program or monitor any of the newer CPU models. At the time that GE Fanuc and Koyo severed their relationship, the highest functionality CPU was the CPU106 which is close to the current D3-330.

There were three Logicmaster One packages. Logicmaster One Jr, which was only compatible with the Series One Junior. That line was discontinued when TI picked up the product. Logicmaster One, which programmed the original Series One. Logicmaster One Family, which programmed the Series One Plus. You will need to have Logicmaster One Family to have any chance of programming the TI, Siemens, or the current AD models. You can recognize Logicmaster One Family by the batch file used to start it (L1F.BAT).

Even if it works, you won't be able to take full advantage of the newer features. The maximum program size will be 3.7K with 64 timers and/or counters.

Thanks Guys

It slowly starts to come back.

I remember that my first LogicMaster program had a tab or function key to get to the Series One section of the programming.

The idea of another programming package irritates me, even if someone gives it to me free, with a free lunch to boot.

I really like the 9030's and their versatility, especially when comparing price to A-B. But lately so many customers (READ ALL the customers) are so price conscious (plus the A-B and Siemans distributors have done a good job down-talking GE) that an alternative was needed, and was hoping I could program from LM90. I can program LM90 in considerably less time that my buddies with their other brands of plc's.

We has some DL205 equipment on some test locomotives at Electro-Motive several years ago, and they did a fine job. Most for A to D conversion for mass quantities of test sensors and data logging.

Come to think of it, I have gotten a lot of free GE lunches. None from A-B, not even a keychain or hat. Perhaps that may have something to do with my GE preference. Hmmmmmmmm.

Gentlemen - Thanks Again,

casey