Micro 820 communications

Plcer_not

Good Morning all. I someone can help me out here. I have a pice of equipment that has a Micro 820 plc in it. I am trying to connect to it but I don't have the IP address for it. This equipment was made for us and I haven't been able to get an answer as of yet from the manufacturer on an IP address. I have a feeling that it is operator error(me) but I don't know. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

You can connect to it using the USB port and do an upload, then check the network settings to get the IP address for future reference .

You can connect to it using the USB port and do an upload, then check the network settings to get the IP address for future reference .

Nope... there is no USB port

Plcer_not, using RSLinx you will need to be on the same subnet and RSLinx will find it, if the PLC is default then your router would of assigned the IP address

Yeah. I looked for a USB port and didn't see one. geniusintraining...how do I know if I am on the same subnet? This might be a very basic question, but I am not very good at connecting via ethernet just yet

Good question.... but RSLinx will scan the network and any active nodes on the same subnet will show up, maybe with a yellow question mark, if so then you need to update (upload) the EDS from the CPU

Try plugging your PC into the same router, if your PC is not static then if may change your address to the local and you will be able to see it

Any idea who installed it?

One option is to isolate the PLC to just one computer running wireshark (I.E. laptop with wireshark-cat5 cable-dumb hub-cat5 cable-micro820). Cycle power to the micro with wireshark running and see if the micro announces itself. I don’t know if a micro820 will do this but I know that my MicroLogix 1100 sends out a gratuitous ARP which includes the IP address. The reason for the dumb hub is my experience with wireshark is that if it detects that there is no LAN connection to the computer it will stop capturing. The hub will give you a constant LAN connection so Wireshark won’t stop. It needs to be a dumb hub so it won’t filter anything and you will see all of the activity between the two devices.

Good question.... but RSLinx will scan the network and any active nodes on the same subnet will show up, maybe with a yellow question mark, if so then you need to update (upload) the EDS from the CPU

Try plugging your PC into the same router, if your PC is not static then if may change your address to the local and you will be able to see it

Any idea who installed it?

Thanks. I did contact the manufacturer and they were no help. They sent a manual and said "Hope this Helps"! I did see it through RSLinx with the yellow question mark and then it got crossed out with a red X....not sure what that means. I will keep trying.

One option is to isolate the PLC to just one computer running wireshark (I.E. laptop with wireshark-cat5 cable-dumb hub-cat5 cable-micro820). Cycle power to the micro with wireshark running and see if the micro announces itself. I don’t know if a micro820 will do this but I know that my MicroLogix 1100 sends out a gratuitous ARP which includes the IP address. The reason for the dumb hub is my experience with wireshark is that if it detects that there is no LAN connection to the computer it will stop capturing. The hub will give you a constant LAN connection so Wireshark won’t stop. It needs to be a dumb hub so it won’t filter anything and you will see all of the activity between the two devices.

Thanks for the tip. I will try this if all else fails. I don't have wireshark loaded on our laptop, but will get it if need be. We also talked about taking out the 820 and installing a different one that I set-up but that seems a little extreme....although I am getting closer to that option.

Thanks. I did contact the manufacturer and they were no help. They sent a manual and said "Hope this Helps"!

Great support...

I did see it through RSLinx with the yellow question mark and then it got crossed out with a red X....not sure what that means. I will keep trying.

If you did see it then it turned red means that 'was' a active node at one time... but once it turned red means it timed out and is no longer active, the yellow just means you need to upload the EDS from the PLC... once its active you can right click and upload them

You may need to do the Wireshark idea that Firejo suggested

Well, I have tried everything but the Wireshark idea. Nothing has seemed to work. I did get an IP address from the manufacturer and tried that but it still didn't work. Same subnet mask as the laptop. I am plugging my laptop directly into the Micro820 so there is no router or port or anything like that. As I have said, I am not good at connecting to ethernet devices so it could be something very simple.

IP address of the micro 192.168.1.3
IP address of the laptop 192.168.10.1

Could it be I have wrong IP in the laptop?

Change your laptop IP to 192.168.1.1 and try it. Your laptop and the PLC are on 2 different subnets and may not be able to communicate depending on what the subnet mask on each is set to.

Change your laptop IP to 192.168.1.1 and try it. Your laptop and the PLC are on 2 different subnets and may not be able to communicate depending on what the subnet mask on each is set to.

Thank you!Thank You!! That worked. So, this is a very basic question, I am sure, but why didn't it work with the 192.168.10.1? I thought the 1st two numbers were the important ones. Thanks again, everybody!

So, this is a very basic question, I am sure, but why didn't it work with the 192.168.10.1? I thought the 1st two numbers were the important ones. Thanks again, everybody!

That would be true if all devices on a network had a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 which is atypical but not unheard of.

I'd suggest you google "Subnetting" or "TCP/IP Basics" to get started, it's an essential topic to be familiar with and the basics are fairly straightforward. It will come in handy in the future, I guarantee it!

That would be true if all devices on a network had a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 which is atypical but not unheard of.

I'd suggest you google "Subnetting" or "TCP/IP Basics" to get started, it's an essential topic to be familiar with and the basics are fairly straightforward. It will come in handy in the future, I guarantee it!

Thanks bjh! I will do that. I really appreciate the help.