CompactLogix faults if sent GetAttrAll request to DLR class (Id: 0x47)

AlfredoQuintero

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello:

I have found that CompactLogix (1769-L306ERMS2) goes into fault if I send a GetAttributeAll request to DLR class (0x47). This does not happen to the 5069-L306ERMS2, for example. The 5069-L306ERMS2 responds normally to GetAttributeAll request to DLR class.

I am seeking advice as to what is the correct thing to do, because although for the work I do it is helpful if this did not happen when using ODVA Tools, I can check the DLR status of the 1769-L306ERMS2 with RSLinx.

But I do not want to pay for a support ticket just to alert Rockwell about this problem. Especially if they already know about this. In case Rockwell does not know about this issue I think it is important to let them know because it is so easy to crash the 1769-L306ERMS2 in this way that a person with nefarious intentions could very easily cause a lot of damage sabotaging a facility. Below is the screenshot of this problem.

CompactLogixCrashes_With_GetAttrSingleAll.png

Maybe something w/ the tool itself. Can you try MSG instead?

MSG-Get-Atttribute-All.png

Last edited:
When issuing the same command to the 5069-L306ERMS2 or any other EtherNet/IP device, whether Rocwell's or other vendor normal reply is always returned

Also, I can do what I need to do without sending GetAtrributeAll all command to this 1769-L306ERMS2. The GetAttributeSingle command works, and of course RSLinx works. I am concerned at the fact that a PLC cannot handle one particular request without crashing. Even if the Molex/ODVA Tools had a problem and was sending an incorrect request, the 1769-L306ERMS2 should send an error response, such as service not supported or something like that. The ODVA tools is used by EtherNet/IP firmware developers all over the world, so although this tool is unfortunately not complete, that one part I think is working propery.

It is also an non-conformance issue for this product, as the ODVA specification dictates that the GetAttributeAll service for the DLR object instance is required.

DLR-GetAtttributeAll.png

So faulted L16 or 5069?
Catalog number you posted 1769-L306ERMS2 does not exist.
Can you clarify?

I have L18 here to try

Last edited:
Thank you very much, Contr_Conn for taking interest in this one issue.

I am using the CompactLogix as the device-level ring supervisor of this system. The L16 faults, the 5069 responds normally to GetAttributeAll request for DLR class. As for the part number for the L16, I show you below my screenshot of RSLinx.

20200816_DLR_Discussion.png

You should probably edit your original post correcting part number.
The reason I have interest is because I work with DLR on daily basis. But I dont have L16, I have only L18 that I will try.

As for your controller fault - the only way to find out why your controller is faulting is to send SD card image to techsupport (full image).
They will extract logs and for ward to engineering.

I am sorry for having written incorrect part number in the original post. I do not seem to have the option to edit as you are recommending me. I posted this over ten hours ago. I am very willing to edit this if it is possible.

As for your recommendation of getting the SD card and send to Rockwell tech support, this seems it will cost me money, and I can live without sending GetAttributeAll to the L16. This is an issue with the L16 for which I have a perfect workaround that costs me nothing. But I am concerned that this could be a vulnerability for L16 users in shopfloor settings, so I would like to let know someone in Rockwell who can look into it. But I have no intention to pay a support ticket. It could also be the case that this is a "known issue" for Rockwell and they have chosen not to fix this in the L16. In that case I would let large-volume L16 users to push Rockwell for a fix. I only have one L16 in a laboratory setting. I am not running any actual shop-floor system with this L16.

I can only say that L18 ver 32.013 accepts command from Molex tool ver 2.3 and message from another controller.
I don't have L16 to try.

L18.JPG

Thanks very much for your test and sharing your result. Yesterday I flashed the latest 32.013 in the hope this had been fixed but got the fault again in my L16.

Interesting that the L18 responds normally to the GetAttributeAll request to the DLR. Also the L30ERMS2 and all the remote IO blocks and the ETAPS from Rockwell reply normally to GetAttributeAll request to the DLR.
It is just the L16 that has this strange behaviour.

If it crashes in different versions, then you have a faulty hardware. I know I used DLR Faceplate with L16 before and that AOI uses GetAll

If it crashes in different versions, then you have a faulty hardware. I know I used DLR Faceplate with L16 before and that AOI uses GetAll

This is an important piece of information. This PLC has been in use for years now. And the only time it faults is when I send GetAttributeAll. So I guess I will have to live with this as the warranty is expired. Thanks very much for your input. I so much appreciate your going the extra mile(s) to help me clarify this issue.