Tunnel puzzle - cats are now on the train

L D[AR2P#0.0]

Lifetime Supporting Member
Third puzzle in the tunnel theme:

Code:
Two cats are travelling on a train, the train is running at constant speed.
The cats are initially stationary in the middle of the train.

The train enters a tunnel. A little later,
at the moment the cats enter the tunnel,
one cat starts running towards the front of the train and 
the other cat starts running towards the rear of the train. 
The cats run at the same speed.
The cat running towards the front of the train stops when it exits the tunnel.
Similarly, the cat running towards the rear of the train stops
when it exits the tunnel.

The cats are now separated by distance A
(the cats are not limited to integer steps)

If the speed of the train is √3 times the speed of the cat,
what is the length of the tunnel as a proportion of A?

What is the minimum length of the train as a proportion of A?

Give your answers using expressions containing surds.  

For example, (but wrong)

Length of tunnel= A(66+√3),
Minimum length of train = A√3/77

Answers by PM

I'm allergic to cats.
My new neighbor came over last week looking for her cat. Asked if I've seen it or maybe took it inside... Said I'm allergic to them.

She and her family immediately built suspicion that I hate cats and must have done something dastardly because they can't find their cat.

A couple days ago, I was in the parking lot, she pulls in. I asked if she found her cat? She said No... the cat is 2 years old and has never been outside before... her 4 yo son opened the door and it split! (her son probably terrorized the darn thing)

I had a nice chat with her about the wildlife in the area like coyotes, hawks, great horned owls and the like... Also mentioned that probably 75 other neighbors around here have cats, and cat's like to do cat things with other cats.

She became determined at that time to go knock on everyone's door to see if they have seen a brown cat. I asked if she had a pic to show... nope, but I'll just go around and ask.

Just thinking, when I get the car done, that will be a cat killer, so maybe I really don't like cat's. LOL
🍻

There is something wrong in the head with people that don't like cats for no apparent reason (allergic ??), work out your own mental problems and leave cats alone. Nothing to laugh about, you have a problem.

Last edited:
There is something wrong in the head with people that don't like cats for no apparent reason (allergic ??), work out your own mental problems and leave cats alone. Nothing to laugh about, you have a problem.

I don't mind cat's at all. I really do have a medical allergy to them tho.

The cat I mentioned at the end is a Hellcat... which they read my license plate at the drag strip until they catch me. I don't want them to catch me in a heads up race. You see, it's all very clear...

Last edited:
Clear as now, my apologize to you, you aren't in your car looking for cats to run down (l hope). But my statement still stands for any cat haters

Clear as now, my apologize to you, you aren't in your car looking for cats to run down (l hope). But my statement still stands for any cat haters

I don't quite know how to respond to this... part of me thinks it's serious, the other part is laughing my *** off.

No, I'm not running over cats with my car. I would use the truck because it has much higher ground clearance. Less guts-n-blood underneath to clean up. LOL

Were any cats harmed in this puzzle?
Are they everyday cats or stunt doubles?

Carry on....:)