Network setup with 1783-NATR

Michiel

Hi everybody,

I have a standard system with a PLC (1769-L16ER-BB1B) and a HMI (Panelview plus 7) that I want to integrate in a plant network.
The customer wants to exchange a couple of bits using produce and consume so I integrated everything already in our software.
I prepared and tested everything and it worked just fine.

My test setup was a our usual system (1769-L16ER-BB1B +Panelview plus 7) connected to another AB PLC to communicate with. Everything was connected as 1 network (see picture test setup).
Normally when we integrate something like this in a bigger network we just ask for 2 IP adresses for the PLC and HMI in the customer's network.

In this case the customer can only asign 1 IP adress (102.2.245.10) for our system to comunicate with their system (102.2.245.81).
I've been in touch with Rockwell Belgium and they told me I need a 1783-NATR to achieve this.

My question now is how do I set this up ?
I'm guessing the IP adress of the public IP adress will be the one that got assigned to us (102.2.245.10) ?
But what do I put in the translations as an public adress for my PLC with internal adress 192.168.16.98 ? (see picture actual setup)

I hope I can get some help this way, I'm just taking my first steps into AB programming.

Thanks a lot in advance

test setup.jpg actual set up.jpg

Last edited:
Already saw this video this afternoon :)
But I'm still confused on what the public adress and what the translation rule should be for my PLC.

ASSUMING all netmasks are 255.255.255.0:

The rules are

• the first three octets (e.g. 192, 168, and 123, of 192.168.123.x) cannot be the same for the public and private addresses of the 1783-NATR
  • the first three octets of all devices on the private side of the 1783-NATR must be the same as the first three octets of the private address assigned to the 1783-NATR
  • the last octet (.x above) of the private addresses cannot be the same as the last octet of the private address of the 1783-NATR, nor can it be the same as the last octet of the private adress of any other private device
  • the last octet of the public addresses for a private device cannot be the same as the last octet of the public address of the 1783-NATR, nor can it be the same as the last octet of any public address of any other private device
    • N.B. this rule will probably be enforced by the 1783-NATR
  • the last octet cannot be 255 for any address, public or private
Furthermore,

• As noted above, the public IP address for the private PLC will have the same first three octets as the public IP address of the 1783-NATR.
    • Only the 1783-NATR knows about the public addresses
    • The private PLC itself only knows its private IP address
      • It has absolutely no idea about its public IP address.
  • Example:
    • Public IP address of 1783-NATR is 192.168.123.1
      • All public addresses will be 192.168.123.xpublic for the private PLCs
    • Private IP oaddress of 1783-NATR is 192.168.231.231
      • All devices on the private network will have addresses of 192.168.231.xprivate
    • The mapping from public address 192.168.123.xpublic to 192.168.231.xprivate will be done in the 1783-NATR only.
    • .xprivate and .xpublic may be the same, or they may be different; it doesn't matter.

Thanks for the information, all makes sense.

Just one thing I'm still confused about...
Do I have to assign the IP adress we got from our customer (102.2.245.10) to the public port of the NATR or does this have to be a public translation of my Private PLC's IP adress ?
Keeping in mind that we can only use 1 IP adress in the public network

Thanks for the information, all makes sense.

Just one thing I'm still confused about...
Do I have to assign the IP adress we got from our customer (102.2.245.10) to the public port of the NATR or does this have to be a public translation of my Private PLC's IP adress ?
Keeping in mind that we can only use 1 IP adress in the public network

ooh, the NATR does not solve the problem: even with the NATR, the new hardware is still using up at least two addresses on the public LAN.

Can you do this? I have no idea if CompactLogix can handle multiple Ethernet interfaces; if not, can the HMI communicate with summat else serial?

xxx.png

Can you do this? I have no idea if CompactLogix can handle multiple Ethernet interfaces; if not, can the HMI communicate with summat else serial?

This is what the customer wants, but it is't not possible with our actual PLC (compactlogix, 1769-L16ER-BB1B). Are there any other modules that can be used instead of changing the PLC ?

This is what the customer wants, but it is't not possible with our actual PLC (compactlogix, 1769-L16ER-BB1B). Are there any other modules that can be used instead of changing the PLC ?

can you add ethernet card to the 1769?

Also, you might be able to do a standard soho-network type of NAT to hide your HMI/PLC combination behind a regular old router, and port-forward the PLC E/IP port(s?) to the router and the customer connects to that.