You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old January 18th, 2023, 10:10 AM   #1
kckku
Canada

CSA Certification for Robots

We have a new electrical safety inspector and he's asking us to show the CSA sticker for our SCARA robot controllers. We have never been asked this before so it caught us by surprise. We have been using the same robots for over ten years and nobody has asked us this.

We didn't think it would be an issue since the robots are sold all over the world and are readily available in North America. We also use the same robots down in a plant in the U.S. and they have never had issues with local electrical inspection.

My question is how is this supposed to work? When we asked our robot supplier, they told us that they don't have a CSA sticker. They tell us that the robot is typically certified as a system with the main panel.

I also looked up other robot manufacturers and I can't find any documentation saying CSA, CE, or UL certifications.

How is this problem usually handled? I am not sure how this needs to be handled. Go back and argue with the inspector?
Old January 18th, 2023, 10:34 AM   #2
sbaum
Canada

Any electrical components in Canada must be approved. Regardless whether it's stand-alone or part of an assembly. Any robot supplier selling product in Canada should have their bases covered on that.
All that to said, I have limited experience with robots.
Old January 23rd, 2023, 03:41 PM   #3
kckku
Canada

So is it my inspector that doesn't know what he's talking about? I don't think people here have run into this type of problem before? Meaning the robots don't need a CSA or UL sticker.

I also managed to find a note for one robot type in the manual. It specifically says the robot is not a complete system so therefore doesn't need CE marking. Is the situation the same then here in North America? This means the local electrical authority needs to look at the entire system /main panel and whatever is feeding the robot?
Old January 23rd, 2023, 05:18 PM   #4
Robb B
Lifetime Supporting Member
Canada

Items that are certified for use as a component or a whole shall have an approval marking: https://www.google.com/search?q=cana...rABSaWe4yYtRWM
Old January 23rd, 2023, 05:27 PM   #5
kckku
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb B View Post
Items that are certified for use as a component or a whole shall have an approval marking: https://www.google.com/search?q=cana...rABSaWe4yYtRWM
Do they put these labels on Fanuc, Yaskawa, and/or ABB robots? These are what we typically use.
Old January 24th, 2023, 01:38 PM   #6
Robb B
Lifetime Supporting Member
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by kckku View Post
Do they put these labels on Fanuc, Yaskawa, and/or ABB robots? These are what we typically use.
https://www.ul.com/services/robotic-...nd-performance

looks like if it doesn't have an approval mark, you (the owner) needs to get one put on. It's probably a similar process to the silver labels on mobile homes.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum