USB TO Serial adapter to connect 1770-KFD.

kiran

Hi,

I just got a new laptop without serial port. I am working on a project with Mocrologix-1500 and devicenet card 1769-SDN. I have the communication adapter 1770-KFD with and I have buy a USB to serial adapter for my laptop to connect to the devicenet card on serial port.

I was refering to the the below article from AB knowledgebase

The USB ( Universal Serial Bus) adapters that will convert the USB port to a serial port. Listed are two vendors that we recommend.

*See the special notes at the end of this Document to use the 1770-KFD with these adapters.

Here are the test results:

Product Testing Results

Summary

To replace the laptop serial connector, Rockwell Software has tested both Belkin (model no. F5U103) and Keyspan (model no. USA-19W) USB to RS-232 interfaces. RSI has found that, with these interfaces, RSLinx serial connectivity works with all processors and panel-mount interfaces under Windows 98/NT/2000 operating systems. Both products sell for less than $80 and are available for purchase globally.

RSLinx/USB Belkin & Keyspan Serial Converter Test Results

Device

Windows 2000

Windows 98

Windows ME

1770-KF2

Yes

Yes

Yes

1770-KF3

Yes

Yes

Yes

1770-KFC

Yes

Yes

Yes

1770-KFD

Yes

Yes

Yes

CompactLogix

Yes

-

-

ControlLogix

Yes

-

-

FlexLogix

Yes

-

-

MicroLogix

Yes

Yes

Yes

Panelview 300

Yes

Yes

Yes

PLC-5

Yes

Yes

Yes

SLC-500

Yes

Yes

Yes

Notes:

1. Testing was performed using the RSLinx DF1, full-duplex driver with Allen-Bradley serial cables. Note the 1770-KFD requires AB cable P/N 96881501.

2. RSLogix software and DDE/OPC clients were used to test communications stability.

3. Testing was performed using the Belkin F5U103 and Keyspan USA-19QW USB-RS232 adapters.

4. “Yes” in the table indicates that the device was successfully tested with the Belkin an Keyspan adapters and that operating system.

5. Auto-Configure in RSLinx Configure Devices window doesn’t work in Windows 2000, so you should set the baud rate manually and make it equal to the baud rate of the serial channel of the particular device.

6. To configure 1770-KF3 in Windows 2000, select (1770-KF3/1747-KE) as the device type in the RSLinx Configure Devices window.

7. To configure 1770-KF3 and 1770-KF2 in Windows ME, select the appropriate device as the device type in the RSLinx Configure Devices window.

8. The RSLinx PIC driver will not work with either the Belkin or Keyspan devices.

Special Note: The Keyspan product will work with the cable (P/N 96881501) included with the 1770-KFD because it does not require handshaking. The Belkin product will not work with the serial cable included with the 1770-KFD because the 1770-KFD does not support handshaking while the Belkin product requires handshaking. In order to successfully use the Belkin product with a 1770-KFD the handshake lines need to be connected together. The 1784-CP10 cable could be used with the 25 pin connector with adapters be connected to the 1770-KFD. A cable with the handshake lines looped back on each side would also work. Each D9 side would need to have pins 4 (DTR) , 6 (DSR) and 1 (DCD) connected together and 7 (RTS) , 8 (CTS) connected together.

Keyspan adapter that AB recommends is discontinued does anybody out there know which is the best one for this.

AB offers 9300-USBS but I am not sure if this works with 1770-kfd and this is priced at around CDN $200.00.

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pentium4 running on Windows XP.

Thanks,

Kiran.

Keyspan

This is from the Keyspan website with the 19HS being their current offering

What is the difference between the USA-19/Q/Qi/X, USA-19W/QW, and USA-19HS? Difference Between USA-19/Q/Qi/X, USA-19W/QW, and USA-19HS

Over the years, Keyspan has made several adapters in the USA-19 line. The USA-19 line is defined as sb erial [A]dapters with [1] DB[9] port (these characteristics make up the part number [USA-19]). The following information outlines the difference between each variant of the USA-19 line:

Product Name: High Speed USB Serial Adapter
Model Numbers: USA-19W, USA-19QW
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The models in the High Speed USB Serial Adapter line (models USA-19W, USA-19QW) were designed for connecting any serial device (PDAs, modems, GPS devices, cell phones, serial intrumentation, etc.) to Mac and Windows computers. These adapters had more sophisticated serial controller chips (aka UARTs) than the USB PDA Adapters and therefore could support more types of serial devices. The USA-19W and USA-19QW are functionally identical however the USA-19W (same adapter) has an attached (non-detachable) USB cable that was molded on to the adapter itself. The USA-19QW added a status light (LED) in the adapter itself and made the USB cable detachable (the adapter itself has a standard USB type B port that you can attached/detach any USB cable). The USA-19W and the USA-19QW supported baud rates up to 230400. The USA-19W and USA-19QW models were discontinued in October 2003 and replaced by the USA-19HS.

I was in the same situation as you are with a notebook with no serial ports. I had some GF Signet flow meters that I needed to configure and the Keyspan USB adapter was what they recommended and I was able to use it without issue. I havent used it with the AB's but I dont see why you should have an issue. The part is fairly inexpensive and you can order one from Dell, CDW etc.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=555201

I hope this helps

Outstanding, Rookie !

The Keyspan USA-19 series are the only USB/Serial adapters I recommend. I regularly use an older USA-19 with the 1770-KFD and either the included cable or a 1747-CP3 or 1756-CP3 cable, and have no problems.

I saw a USA-19HS at Fry's Electronics the other day for $24.00. Get one for yourself and you won't be disappointed.

Meanwhile, also call your RA sales representative and tell him that Allen-Bradley needs to make a fast, cheap, USB/DeviceNet interface to supercede the 1770-KFD !

In another post I read somebody talked about putting in their $.02 worth, so here's mine on the subject...

We had the same problem with our laptops not having serial ports, and we went to Radio Shack and bought their USB to Serial adapter, and have had no problem.

Our stock room tried to circumvent our subsequent order to keep these cables in stock, and tried a McMaster-CARR substitute, which WOULD NOT work. We have since insisted on the Radio Shack version.

I use radio shack usb to serial without any problem i have use it on 5/03,5/04 ,micrologix and GE fanue ,and on GV3000 drives $14.99