Ab Plc5 Rio Adapter Fault

Simil

S
I have the below LED sequence in our RIO Adapter :

Active (Green) : Blinking

Adapter fault (red): ON

I/O rack fault : OFF

RIO user manual 1771-UM001A-US-P- February 2000 says (Page no. 59 / Troubleshooting):

Description:
Module Identification Line fault

Probable cause :
Excessive noise on Backplane

Recommended Action:
Identify source of noise. Check powersupply incomming ac power with a line disturbance analyser. Monitor scanner channel for retries to determine if noise is entering the RIO cable.Possible problem with block transfer module. Remove to Isolate.

My comments:
We donot have any Block transfer module(like analog module) in that rack. This RIO rack has been operating for past 6 years without any problem.

Details of cards present in this rack:

Slot 0 : RIO Adapter
Slot 1 & 2 : 1771-IADK (16 pt. 120vac input module)
Slot 3 : 1771-IBD ( I am about to install this module in slot 3 within few days when we have shutdown but then found the above module fault.I havenot installed this module yet.
Slot 4 to 6 : 1771-ODD ( 16 pt. 120Vac isolated input module)
Slot 7 to 8 : 1771-OW16K ( 16 pt. contact output)
Slot 9 to 12 : Empty

Now how can i clear this fault. As said i read the above manual and i realy donot know what i should after reading that. So need your help.

My processor Cat no.1785-L60's Channel 1B is Blinking (it is configured as RIO Scanner) and i understand that its blinking because of my RIO adapter fault.

Can i clear this fault by connecting my PC to CPU and which bit should i reset to clear this fault online without shutting the power to rest of the system.

My fear is whenever the CPU has a fault i just connect my PC to DH+ port and go online and just click clear fault (yes before that i read the fault and then only i clear it). But in this case, the processor is not faulted but only the RIO adapter so just hint me how to do this.

Thansk ALL

The green blinking LED is telling you that you are not communicating between the ASB and the PLC. Check your blue hose for proper connection (1-blue, sh-shield, 2-clear), recycle power to the ASB, see what happens.

Roger

rogerhollingsworth
thanks for the post.
Yes i understand the green blinking led. MY cable are intact there is no lose connection.
My question is why am i getting this fault after 6 years and what would have caused this problem and how to avoid this problem in the future.

The adapter to cpu cable is intact.

thanks

Has anyone installed any devices or DC relays in the cabinet just prior to the starting of the problems? Making/breaking of relay contacts carrying DC will cause the ASB to fault. Put suppression on any such contacts.(RF signals)
Any welders/ welding cables or high current devices in close proximity to the ASB or its communications wire? (anywhere in the run)

Roger

Last edited: