Losing Profibus nodes - S7-1500

Update.

It seems that this problem is related to using TIA Portal V14 service pack 1. The solutions proposed by siemens are: 1) ask the third party equipment vendors to modify their GSD files 2) Upgrade to TIA Portal V15.

I find it incredible that Siemens released this version and seems to be unable to fix it. You can take down a machine just by going online with your laptop.

The last time I experienced anything this serious was in Step5 when, if you monitored an AND before OR statement in ladder on a PG635, a 928CPU would crash. That was in 1989 and I stopped a production line running polypropylene film at 1000M/Min.

Nick

Profibus fault

Hi All,

I had this exact fault using TIA portal V14 SP1

Had a 1515-2PN CPU and a CM1542-5 Profibus module in the rack

8 x ABB FPBA-1 Profibus slaves on the network.

ABB nodes kept dropping off when i went online in TIA Portal direct at Slot X1.

Got in touch with ABB and they suggested changing the GSD file from ABB10959.gsd

to a ABB0959.gsd

It fixed the problem.

Something to do with DPV0 and DPV1. #

Attached the GSD files sent to me by ABB

I'm trying to figure out why using a DPV1 GSD-file causes this problems.
As far as I know, the DPV1 services are additional services to the cyclic DPV0 services.

Even if you are using DPV1 services, this should be not timing critical. As the master sends a request, and then polls the slave as long as the data are ready to read. And especial for the ABB GSD, the response timeout is 100*10ms.

By the way a comment to this ABB GSD files:
This is really bad design from ABB, to name the GSD files for different firmware version the same. I've run into major problems with this. I've done some projects with the new Abb drives which need the new GSD file installed, and then had to do to some work on a customer project with older drives. I've done some changes in the HW configuration on my computer (adding an analog card), after downloading it to the CPU, all communication to the ABB drives failed.
I've figured this GSD version problem out and installed the older GSD, but now I'll run into problems if I do some changes on a plant which need the GSD for newer ABB drives.

Not exactly the same problem as yours, but we kept crashing 1517 PLC regularly when multiple persons were online + HMI connections + connections to other PLCs.

What I mean as crashing a PLC - PLC aborting all connections to PG and HMI. Which meant you can't go online or input data from HMI at all for anyone. Only solution was reboot - shut down PLC and turn it on again. Nothing else worked and we tried everything.

We tolerated this for months, since it's still in development phase and it didn't happen that often (about 6 times in few months). But it was happening regularly, it was not some random happening.

Now we decided to upgrade firmware to 2.5 and switch to TIA v15, since other reported they had no such problems with that fw and TIA version. Only we with TIA v14 SP1 and fw 2.1 had such problems.

I really think v14 and fw 2.1 have some serious problem and should be upgraded immediately if you're using it. Consider it as Windows 8 or Vista.