changing I/O module config online

cjjeeper

I have a PLC5-40 with 1771-IL card. I need to change one of the channels from its current configuration of 0-5vdc|0-20 ma to the new required configuration of 1-5vdc|4-20ma. I made the change and accepted the edits but then it asked me if I wanted to download the I/O channel change. Is this a PLC download? The PLC is live now and if its a download I would shut down various equipment. The documentation is not clear what is going to occur if I answer yes to this and its not clear if I have to do it. (its a card in the local chassis).

Hi, welcome to the forum!! Yes it will shut down your process (PLC goes into program mode on a download) and it will probably ask/tell you that some of your data will have changed, which would be the analog you have configured at the previous voltage/current in the logic or data tables. I used to do a lot on PLC 5 but haven't in a while. You might look at the manual for that particular card and it would tell you the sequence involved in changing channel configuration either on or off line. Hope this helps. That literature is available on line in PDF to look at and download.