Wireless Ethernet issue

BobB

Lifetime Supporting Member
Using some ORing transmitters - really good quality. Difficult installation - on rocks at the edge of the ocean. The ORing devices are IP67 - great - the plant room goes under water when the sea comes up. Looking for some directional antenna that will withstand the waves breaking over the top of them - need to have N type connectors. Omni directional is not working - the distance between the two antenna is under 100 metres. There is also likely to be reflection from the cliff face - there is line of sight. Omron FINS communications between an Omron PLC and a CMore touch screen. Tried Ethernet IP - useless over wireless so far - Omron FINS is not really very fussy - works well over wireless. The job is control of a vacuum pump to prime a pump that draws water from the ocean. Using a vacuum transmitter - no water - loss of vacuum - turn off - try again in 15 minutes. All that is working great. Just having trouble with the wireless Ethernet.

It is wireless Ethernet and there is constant communications between bot ends. That being said only 1 is the master. The ORings are happy with either 2.4 or 5 mhz. Not sure a Yagi would withstand the waves when the ocean comes up.

the signal is going to reflect off the surface of the water which is constantly changing, especially when the surf is up. Putting your omni's higher up above the water surface will help reduce the effect of the water. at 800 mW those radios have gobs of transmit power and -96db receive sensitivity is good too. They should go for kilometres. A bigger antenna isn't going to help here.

Assuming it is this one
https://www.oringnet.com/en-global/products/detail/P0000000463/86/?IAP-W420+_EU

I had trouble just keeping rain water out Yagi antenna horns and N-type connectors with the water then flowing back down the inside of the coax and ruining the cable. Was using loads of denso tape on every connection. No way they would have survived the ocean.

I also had trouble with a wireless link from one side of a bay to the other. The antennas were on top of 10m power poles and we could tell when the surf was up because the link would get ****ty.

You could try http://dslreports.com/forum/wisp as those guys have a lot of experience with wireless ethernet.

If it is only 100m wired ethernet would work. If you want something reliable I would put a cable in.

Right ORing device - no choice for a cable - digging up concrete paths and then blasting into sand stone is not an option. Thanks for the link. Will have a look there.

You are going to be very hard pressed to find a directional antenna that will stand up to the punishment of waves let alone one that will deal with the salt water. I believe your best bet is to get away from WiFi technology and go with 900MHz Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum. It will go much further and be more reliable than WiFi given the same RF output power and typically will have a much higher receive sensitivity. Then you can use an Omni antenna and finding one that will handle the environment will be easier. The drawback will be slower throughput but slower throughput is better than unreliable throughput.