Micrologix 1000- Upload error in Logix500 (and Hand Held Programmer)

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
A customer asked me if I could reset a fault on their Micrologix 1000 using their Hand Held Programmer. Well... I've never touched a HHP, so I jumped at the opportunity. The customer said it was a fault they've had in the past, but they couldn't remember how to clear it in the HHP.

I plugged in the HHP and read through the manual about clearing a fault. I pushed the right buttons, put the Micrologix back into run, and all was good. I thought it would be a prudent thing to upload the program onto my laptop using my Logix 500, so I found the right cable, plugged it into my laptop, and then found the PLC in RSLinx. I opened Logix500, found the PLC in Who Active, and pushed "Upload". I got the usual window for creating a new file on my laptop, pushed "create new", and watched it start to upload. Then.... I got "Upload Failed", "Unknown Compiler Error". I've never seen that before! But, I've never tried to upload from a micrologix 1000 before, either. The fault was cleared, so I left the customer without digging into the error further. But now he's called me back on Wednesday to help them with another Micrologix PLC, so I guess I'd better research this issue before going back.

Any thoughts on why I'm getting the "upload failed" window?

Screen captures are attached.

Logix500.png Logix500A.png

Excellent, thanks! I don't see operating system requirements anywhere. Do you know if I need XP, or something earlier? Right now I'm thinking about putting this on a separate Windows 7 VM. But I've got an XP VM that has v12 of Logix 5000. With AB I'm always afraid the drivers are not going to play nice with other brands, although I've only heard stories.

FYI... I've already purchased the complete AB cable package from Tim. :)