ScadaPACK

cyoung120

Hi Guys,
I am heading to a site next week that has some old ScadaPacks (they are labelled Control Microsystems). I have the original programs (.LAD file). I contacted ScadaPack (Schneider Electric) to see if there was a way to tell what revision this file was and if the software was still available. Long story short, I was able to open with TelePace 3.40, Save and then open with TeleStudio 5.08.

Now according to the the person I spoke with at Schneider, I will be able to connect to the old ScadaPack, go on-line, make modifications ect using TeleStudio 5.08 without any issue.

Is this the case? Can someone please verify for me that I am not going to brick this ScadaPack because I used the wrong version and/or software.
Thank You

Hi Guys,
I am heading to a site next week that has some old ScadaPacks (they are labelled Control Microsystems). I have the original programs (.LAD file). I contacted ScadaPack (Schneider Electric) to see if there was a way to tell what revision this file was and if the software was still available. Long story short, I was able to open with TelePace 3.40, Save and then open with TeleStudio 5.08.

Can you confirm which software you have when you say TeleStudio? Do you mean TelePace Studio?

Now according to the the person I spoke with at Schneider, I will be able to connect to the old ScadaPack, go on-line, make modifications ect using TeleStudio 5.08 without any issue.

Is this the case? Can someone please verify for me that I am not going to brick this ScadaPack because I used the wrong version and/or software.
Thank You

Yes this should work; I've been able to go online to older Scadapacks using Telepace Studio 5.0.9 so long as you have the same .LAD file that is loaded on the controller. The easiest way to check is to simply try to go online in Monitor Mode; if your .LAD file doesn't match what's on the controller, it'll warn you and not let you go online; this shouldn't affect the controller and/or brick it. If it doesn't match, what you can do is download the program from the controller. Only thing that sucks is whenever I've done this, grabbing the program off the controller will NOT bring the register names, so you're totally in the dark (yet another reason why I hate Scadapacks). You can export the registers from your .LAD and then import them, but obviously if the registers differ (missing, or changed) then you'll overwrite and your program will have plenty of odd bugs.

Yes I did mean TelePace Studio 5.08. Sorry. Been a long day.

Thank you for your response. Hopefully the .LAD are the same. They are requesting quite a few changes and I can only imagine the nightmare it is to reverse engineer one of these relics.

Yes I did mean TelePace Studio 5.08. Sorry. Been a long day.

No worries at all, just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same program; didn't want to lead you astray by accident!

Thank you for your response. Hopefully the .LAD are the same. They are requesting quite a few changes and I can only imagine the nightmare it is to reverse engineer one of these relics.

Yeah no problem at all; I've dealt with a fair number of them as they have been popular in my area. Sounds like you're new to Scadapacks? If so, you'd be surprised how similar the newest version of Telepace Studio is, development wise, to several versions older; literally the only difference is a more modern "ribbon" based interface, but what's going on otherwise is nearly identical. Your ladder diagrams (called networks) are eight "slots" wide and ten rungs long, no exceptions. Some instruction blocks take up to three rungs vertically, so you end up with a ton of networks and intermediate steps for everything. No set/reset coils so you have to seal in everything, which eats up another rung of logic and can get very messy. It feels like programming in 1986, and not in a fun nostalgic way.

If you need any additional help feel free to PM me! Hope all goes well.

Telepace does feel old. I prefer to use isagraf when I get to choose. But I have plenty of clients still using telepace as well.
1 thing I did like for telepace vs isagraf is the online edit mode.

Telepace does feel old. I prefer to use isagraf when I get to choose. But I have plenty of clients still using telepace as well.
1 thing I did like for telepace vs isagraf is the online edit mode.

I quickly poked through Isagraf and it seemed really convoluted; more options like FBD but man, it just felt really hard to simply create variables and ladder. Maybe if I had some professional instruction I could be more comfortable but I hear Isagraf is going the way of the buffalo and they're going to be pushing something called Unity here in the near future (or so says my sales rep). I guess Isagraf requires a license from Rockwell and Schneider is over it. It will be interesting to see how it compares.