Can't communicate with RSLinx

FourFront

Hello,
Having a problem I have not encountered before. This is an existing set up that has been running for a couple of years.

Recently while making some changes in one of the routines, and trying to download to the processor I ran in to an issue.

The RSlogix 5000 goes through the download process. However when I attempt to go online I get an error that "Can't communicate with RSLinx. RSLogix 5000 has been taken offline"

Followed by the notification "The controller acknowledged your request for transition to run mode, but it has not completed the transition".

Any help would be appreciated. I have been banging my head against the wall.

RSError1.JPG RSError2.JPG

Did you try and put the key on the processor to program mode, then try to download, then put back in run/remrun

The second error message is generated when the processor is busy with something and can't go into programming mode. If you put the key switch into the programming position, when the processor is done with whatever it was doing that prevented you from downloading it will change to programming mode and then you can download to it (assuming that Linx is still connected). Having said that, this shouldn't cause the first error message. Are you connected via Ethernet and if so, how many other Ethernet connections does the processor make (Produce/consume connections, message instructions, etc...)?

I've seen this exact behavior on a minor fault. As I would download a program which would induce the fault, the PLC would throw me off and fail to switch into "Run Mode". Are you able to go online with the PLC without making any changes? Does it only happen on the download? If that's the case, I'd start by trying a very minor download (change a rung) and testing if that works. If it does, the problem is probably in the changes you've made. If the problem persists with any download, I'd look into the network, go online locally (if you aren't already), remove other devices from the network...

Something occurred to me about the first error message. Make sure that the updated version of the program you are downloading isn't changing the configuration or location of the communications port you are downloading through.

Did you try and put the key on the processor to program mode, then try to download, then put back in run/remrun

Thank you

I've seen this exact behavior on a minor fault. As I would download a program which would induce the fault, the PLC would throw me off and fail to switch into "Run Mode". Are you able to go online with the PLC without making any changes? Does it only happen on the download? If that's the case, I'd start by trying a very minor download (change a rung) and testing if that works. If it does, the problem is probably in the changes you've made. If the problem persists with any download, I'd look into the network, go online locally (if you aren't already), remove other devices from the network...

Iggy's suggestion of keying the card allowed me to go online and see the error, and clear it. This also lead me to the offending routine which I was able to correct the issue.

Thank you everybody.