Remote Access To Ethernet/dnet/dh485

69FIREBIRD

Hi all, I have a customer that has asked for us to set up remote access to their site so we can fault find remotely.

They have 3 networks that are currently standalone -

Ethernet - Approx 10 MLX1100 w 3 PVP 600's

DeviceNet - Approx 6 MLX1500 via 1761-NET-DNI adaptors w 1 Panelview 300

DH485 - Approx 10 MLX1000 via 1761-NET-AIC

I have had one option promoted to me that uses ControlLogix products to build a network bridge between the three networks and then use a 9300RADKIT to dial in. Sounds like a nice clean option but comes with a price tag. It would allow the ability for an overview site SCARDA and data accusation so it may still be a viable long term option.

Anyhow, you folks opinions on other options would be appreciated.

I have successfully used the 9300RADKIT before for one to one apps and this works well and is easy to setup.

I had thought of using 3 9300RADxxx Kits to gain access to each network individually but this would require 3 telephone lines to be available, might not be a problem with the site PABX

Does anyone know if the 9300RADKIT (serial version) is capable of connecting to the 1761-NET-AIC to gain access to a DH485 Network of MLX100’s?

Does anyone know if a 9300RADES (Ethernet version) is capable of seeing an entire Ethernet network or is designed for one to one apps?

How can I set up remote access to the DNet network the network is currently locally accessed via a 1770-KFD.

Thanks in advance.

Heres what I'd try get them on one common network

well (correct me if I'm wrong) doesn't the ML1500 have 2 serial ports
if so then (I don't know your budget) add an ENI to the ML1500's
and replace the ML1000 with ML1100

this would make ethernet the common network
also since dial-up can be a pain see about doing a VPN
and also an OPC server might be a good addition as a SCADA system would help on the ROI

Thanks 111, The MLX1500's are several years old so only have one connection point. With approx 16 MLX 1000/1500 the cost to upgrade all to one Ethernet network would be quite substantial. Would be nice to have one common network (with on line editing). I have been considering the option of setting up a local PC running the Rockwell apps and using a VPN/remote desktop to gain access to the site.

Has anyone done this successfully?

Thanks.

Here's the thing: to get the ML1500's on ethernet, you need NET-ENI's on all 6 of them. You said you only had 1 connection point, so I assume you have the LSP processors, so to use the NET-ENI's, you would have to swap all 6 CPU's for LRP's to get the second comm port. Using List prices, the cost of this is $7,469 USD, and that still leaves the ML1000's which you can do nothing about unless you get rid of the DH-485 network and hang NET-ENI's on each of them in place of the NET-AIC's.

Again, using list prices, you could do a ControLogix gateway for $5,609. This would include a 4-slot rack, a PA72 power supply, an ENBT module, DNB module and DH-485 module. You wouldn't need RSLogix5000 software as you can donfigure the ENBT and DH485 module using RSLinx and since you are already using DeviceNet, you must have RSNetworx for configuring the DNB.

Actually, scratch the DNB module, since it appear that you are only using the NET-DNI's on a network with the PanelView correct? If that is true, then it is even cheaper using the Gateway.

We have not had any issues with our vpn onsite I have one server with Rockwell software on it and i vpn in to it all the time just like setting at my desk
it tied though the Admin system with a router between them this also is a good step do to the fact you can set up security at on the mac address and the name of the computer tryin to vpn in to the system

WE have controlnet and dnet and i work and trouble shot them all the time this way

Thanks, thinking things through the VPN option is sounding like a better and cheaper solution all the time. I already have the DH485 and Ethernet networks coming to a common point in an office where I monitor from (with my laptop)just need to get the DNet (ether via DNet cable and a local 1770-KFD / 1770-PCID or via serial cable to the production line KFD interface) Serial comms would have to run 60-80m so this would be pushing the capabilities of serial. Then get the company to invest in a PC and internet connection, load the apps on the local PC and VPN in - job done. Plus this can be used as an overall SCARDA system. :)

Last edited:
I think you can upgrade your copy of linx to the gateway version and bridge all the networks together that way for maybe 2000.00?

then you have a bridge on a computer you can get to from the outside

Clint

If all the physical connections come to one spot, you could install a desktop PC with three physical connections:

1747-UIC to connect to the DH485 network.
1761-NET-DNI to connect to the DeviceNet network.
Ethernet Port to connect to the Ethernet.

VPN or dial-in to the PC. Run a Virtual Serial Port server like the one from Eltima Software.

You don't have to run any RSI software on the PC. Your remote RSLinx treats the COMx ports like they are local. Any asynchronous driver like DF1 Full Duplex (which you use both on the 1747-UIC and 1761-NET-DNI) will work with a redirector.

I would VPN into a machine with dual network cards, one on the PLC network & the other on the regular IT network.

I've got a similiar set up & have been very happy with it.

1761-NET-DNI would be a cheaper option again then the 1770-KFD / 1770-PCID already have an 1761 NET AIC for the DH485, would just need to set up a PC with 2 serial ports (cheap).

OK so the best option for remote access to my DH485/Ethernet/DNet site network looks like a local PC with 2 serial ports (one for a NET-AIC and one for a NET-DNI), 2 Ethernet cards (one for the Ethernet network and one for the LAN). Remote access can then be achieved via a VPN / remote desktop scenario. This PC can have the option to run the applications (In my case I will run them as I will also run a small SCADA app for the engineers) or run virtual com ports and run the apps on a remote machine with something like Eltima Software.

Thanks.

Use 1747-UIC, not 1761-NET-AIC

I mentioned the 1747-UIC USB to DH485 interface because its Windows COM port drivers behave just like a normal COMx port and it uses the DF1 Full Duplex driver in RSLinx.

DF1 Full Duplex is an asychronous protocol that works well over modems and with COM port redirectors and virtual serial ports.

The 1747-AIC or 1761-NET-AIC driver in RSLinx uses substitutes the A-B serial driver for the normal Windows driver. It does not work with modems, USB converters, or redirected or virtual serial ports. It's hard to make it work in Windows NT/2000/XP at all.

The 1747-UIC is the same price as the old 1747-AIC, so it's not a very large additional expense.