Unable to access ODBC data source...

dboyko

The task is: I want to redirect FactoryTalk log to ODBC.

All Rockwell software at one computer. And SQL Server at another computer. (Don't use domain or IP Sec. Policy.)
I have access SQL Server by the Rockwell Diagnostics Setup Utility and have created table "Diagnostic" (). So it is OK.
But FactoryTalk Diagnostics Viewer gives messages are:

1. Unable to access ODBC data source hmilog; SQL Server not exists or access denied. ConnectionOpen(Connect()).

2. The Log Export Server was unable to connect to the database 'hmilog'.

(Note: 1. hmilog is the name of data source 2. We have the access form this computer and from Rockwell Diagnostics Setup Utility)

Last edited:
I found the same problem but without any answers...

I found the same problem but without answer...

After SQL server on the secondary computer, I double-clicked the Data Source in Administrative Tools. When Data Sources opened, I clicked on the "System DSN" tab and there is a new data source named, localserver. I changed the name and clicked finish. Clicked on "Test Data Source..." on the next pop-up and it was successful.

Then I created a new data source(same name as the secondary computer) on the primary computer. Entered the secondary computer name (WS2) for Server: field. After that, I clicked "Test Data Source..." However, it failed on primary computer. The error message was
"Attempting connection.
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]SQL Server does not exist or access denied."

The computers are in a workgroup. Could this be a problem? Also the SQL Server is a Personal Edition. Could this be the problem? The reason I use personal edition is the operating is Windows XP. I have the Standard Edition, but it does not work with Windows XP.