Continued Education

fleez28

hey everyone,

just curious to what type of degrees any of you may have and what you had to do to get them...

i already have a 2 year construction electrician degree and have about a year of experience in electrical maintenance...

i know there's plenty of different courses out there and was just wondering what looks most promising to further my education...

thanks for any suggestions

No degree here. Started out in college in Construction Management, switched to Business Finance (23 hrs short) , got a good job offer with a multinational company in process supervision position, worked my way into engineering. Have been designing, troubleshooting, programming, control systems ever since. The people that pulled me out of the process area felt it easier to teach a process guy PLC controls than teach a computer guy process and PLC control. I've seen alot of 'engineers' that know their way around code, but really have very little idea of what they are controlling, which to me, is critical.

i should have added i'd like to pursue something along the lines of an engineer but am unsure of what the various automative fields have to offer

Check out this thread http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=20322

I have a two year degree in electronics. I recently went on an interview loaded with some information for Kennedy Western to see if they would take an online degree. Luckily, he also applied to KW and liked their program so I am going to pursue it. If you are wanting to do something like this, I would check the area companies to see what they are looking for. This way you don't waste your time on a program that gets you nowhere.

thanks jason,

i too have looked into KW

what i like especially is the credits from my previous schooling and work experience hours will transfer over and knock out almost half of the required credits for their electrical engineering degree

also, you can go as fast as you want through the ciriculum cause it's all online

the rep i talked to about 2 months ago said it would be possible for me to get a bachelors (because of my other degree) in less than a year (if i fly through the assignments)

they are definately on my top 3 thus far

the only question i have is how nationally accredited they are because of the whole online deal

my goal is to start somewhere within the next 3 months and kw said as long as i pass a few assessment tests, i would have no problem getting in

i want to do a little more ananysis on their accredidation before i commit though

They are not nationally accredited. I had the same issues until I talked to some of the area companies. They seem to be ok with it. The assessments they are talking about are questions about your background. That way they can tell you how many courses you actually have to take and how much to charge you. That part costs you 50 but is refundable if you don't go. I am looking into the Electrical Engineering with the emphasis on controls. I think this will benefit me most in the future.

By the way Minnesota boy, GO Gophers!

+1 for a 12 year old thread!!! Lets hit it!

Bump...bah-bump-bump-bump-bump-bump!
Ba-dah-dah-bump...bah-bump-bump-bump-bump-bump!

To the OPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!! Back to the TOP!! ('to the TOP!)
You haven't posted since '06, seems you got yo' fix!
Did you get your ED-U-CATION or bounce to a long VA-CA-TION?
Liam's got a link fo' you so whatcha-ya gonna do?

Bump...bah-bump-bump-bump-bump-bump!
Ba-dah-dah-bump..bah-bump-bump-bump-bump-bump!