PLC to Server/PC

JFL88

I have several pieces of test equipment running Micrologix 1400s and a few running CompactLogix. They are all scanning bar codes on the parts that are being tested and checks the part number portion of the bar code as part of the test. We recently shipped a part with a duplicate serial number to our customer and Im now being asked to come up with a way to send the serial number portion of the bar code to a database either on a PC or a server and have the database check if it a duplicate number and send back a pass or fail. Has anyone done anything along these lines or have any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

Do you have any sort of PC-based HMI software running on your system that can interface with an SQL database ?

Querying an SQL database for the number of records that match a string is almost trivial; it's a very simple SELECT command.

I do this with a system that uses Indusoft Web Studio as our HMI; every time I process a barcoded workpiece, the first thing I do is check to see if that serial number has ever been processed. Once it's done, I add the serial number to my big table of completed workpieces.

Exactly which software package you use will depend on what you've got installed, which languages you're familiar with, and what your budget is.