RS Linx Classic Read Only

ronman

I'm running RS Linx OEM and want to add another PLC. When I go to Configure Drivers, it says (READ ONLY) and won't allow any changes. Is there a simple way to get around this security issue?

Welcome to the site
I have a memory that the RSlinx is set to service
you need to untick this

rs.JPG

Ian, I think you're thinking of the solution for a slightly different problem. If RSLinx is set to always run as a service you will not be able to open the application at all. You then use the RSLinx Classic Launch Control Panel to stop the service and un-tick "Always Run As Service". Then start the service again. Now RSLinx will open.

But our friend has RSLinx open, so I don't think that's the issue here?

If the Configure Drivers screen is saying read only and won't let you add a new driver, it's usually because you're not logged on to your computer with Administrative privileges.

If you can, log in with Administrator credentials and it should unlock.

G.

I had the guy in the IT department log in with his password, but it didn't change anything. It's unusual because I set up all of the other PLCs a few months ago, but now I'm not good enough for it!

Ok, that's the simple solution ruled out.

Do you use FactoryTalk Security?

Have IT done anything with your PC of late?

G.

I have never used Factory Talk Security, but after I came upon this problem, I opened up the Factory Talk Administration Console and tried to set something up to get me through the roadblock. That didn't seem to help.

The IT department doesn't always tell me what they're doing, but as far as I know, nothing changed.

Where is the software running?
If it is a remote application then you will need credentials to access the machine running the utility.
It looks like you do not have any credentials required to operate Linx OPC except for browsing RSWho.

RS Linx OEM is running on a desktop machine; it gathers information for RS View 32. There are no remote computers involved.

Ok,

1. Open FactoryTalk Administration Console.

2. Go to Policies=>Product Policies=>RSLinx Classic

3. Double-click feature security

4. Here you'll see the list of actions and their Policy Settings
This is the same list you see in RSLinx Security Access Rights

5. Click on the Configure Security pop-up icon for the first action
Here you see the Configure Securable Action window
Your Windows logon user account should be in this list with Allow ticked.

6. If your user account is there but Deny, or neither, is ticked, then tick Allow. Then do the same for all the actions.

7. If your user account is not there, select Add... and Show all.
You can either select your individual account, the All Users group, or Administrators group, or whatever group you are a member of.

8. Once all the actions have your user account policy settings set for Allow, if you chose a group at step 7, then in FactoryTalk Administration Console go to Users and Groups=>User Groups.
Double-click the group you added at step 7 and check your user account is listed. If not then add your user account to the group.

9. Exit FactoryTalk Administration Console and return to RSLinx Classic and check the Security Access Rights again.

That was done using Windows 7 64-bit. The navigating in and around the FactoryTalk Administration Console may differ slightly if using Windows XP, etc. But in general it should be the same.

Let me know how that goes.

G.

I've just remembered a quicker way to add a user and set the Feature Security for all the actions in a couple of steps.

In FactoryTalk Administration Console=>Policies
Right-click on Product Policies and select Configure Feature Security...

Make sure it's set for View permissions by: User

Select your user account, or user group from the Users list.
If it's not there, add it.

In the Permissions for... list, scroll to RSLinx Classic and tick the Allow box.

If you expand RSLinx Classic=>Feature Security you'll see that this sets all actions for RSLinx Classic for the User to Allow.

Unfortunately, you are using FactoryTalk Security, you just didn't know it.

G.

Last edited:
I tried your first suggestion of going through the Factory Talk Administration Console and setting everything to Allow. I never found anything set to Deny. It still doesn't let me configure anything.

Ok, but what about your user account?

What group is it in?

Does your user account have admin privileges?

Did your user account have admin privileges the last time you setup a PLC sucessfully from this PC?

Even though all seems ok in FTAC, your user account may need higher privileges than it currently has?

When your IT colleague logged on, they may have had high enough privileges, but is their user account, or group, in the User list in FTAC and set to Allow?

I'm guessing something has changed with your user account?

What or where is MAINTSERVER?
RSLinx is listing it as the resource for the actions policy settings.
Was this your computer name and that has changed?

G.

Last edited:
Thanks for the questions. As I understand it, MAINTSERVER is a network domain. The computer has two Ethernet cables coming in to it. One network goes to the maintenance computers and ethernet PLCs. The other one goes to the normal IT stuff (internet, e-mail, etc.).
In FactoryTalk Security, I set up a new user with a password in the Administrator user group. If I click on Security in RS Linx, and choose Set Security User, it shows the Current Security User (which is blank) and allows for changing the user. Typing in the New User and Password and clicking OK results in “New user log in failed.”

FactoryTalk Security - Part 1

ronman said:
I have never used Factory Talk Security...

ronman,

I could skip to the chase, but just so you understand this better.

As I said, you are using FactoryTalk Security, you just don't realize it. Just because you've never had to interact with FactoryTalk Security, does not mean it isn't enabled.
If you were not involved in setting up all the Maintenance computers to work which ever they do now, then you may not have been aware of it's presence.

ronman said:
...If I click on Security, then Show Security Access in RS Linx, it lists lots of things that I can't do.

Once FactoryTalk Security is enabled for RSLinx Classic, the Security drop-down menu is enabled.
When the Security drop-down menu in RSLinx Classic is Grayed out, then FactoryTalk Security is disabled.
The fact you can select Set Security User and Show Security Access means that FactoryTalk Security is enabled for RSLinx Classic.

You can see this in the screenshot below. Also note how the Security pop-up windows should look when set up correctly.

Any Rockwell Software, once FactoryTalk Security enabled, is also known as Security-Aware.

RSLinx_FTSecurity.jpg

Last edited: